28.

Weeks later...

Melanie Stephen

We were seated in the hospital waiting room, awaiting the news of Ava's condition. The in home nurse had called us at around 2:09 this morning and it's going on 6am right now. She said that Ava complained of a really bad headache and chest pains and not being able to move and she was also in tears.

Miles was seated slouched over in the chair, his right leg shaking rapidly. Chase was asleep in his arms since he got tired of waiting to be able to see his mom. We hadn't spoken since we arrived since he was really worried about her.

I reached for his hand and he grabbed it quickly, giving it a slight squeeze. He looked over to me with droopy eyes and gave me a smile.

"You didn't have to come." He simply said.

"But I wanted to be here, I befriended her as well so I should be here."

Chase started moving around and I reached my arms out to grab him.

"I'll take him." I said giving him a slight smile and taking the young boy from his arms. He was pretty light so it wasn't a problem at all.

"What's taking them so long?" He sighed and slid down in his seat as if he were a five year old. I sighed and rocked from side to side and focused my attention to the television that was programmed to the six o'clock news.

"I don't know, I hope they come out soon because I'm getting really anxious sitting here and I'm tired."

As we waited, a younger woman approached us with a worried look on her face. She stopped in front of Miles as she hesitantly spoke.

"Um aren't you Miles?" She asked while scratching her arm.

"Yeah and you are?" Miles asked her while sitting up.

"I'm Charlie, Ava's sister..."

He looked at her for a minute and it had finally struck him that the girl was related to Ava. He began to smile and stuck his hand out.

"Damn I didn't even realize that it was you, you've grown up." He chuckled. I nudged his arm and he looked over to me quickly. "I'm sorry but this is Melanie my girlfriend, Mel this is Charlie."

I gave her a smile and nodded, not being able to shake her hand because I had Chase in my arms.

"Where's my sister? Is she okay?" She asked. "They called me here something about her being very sick I caught the next flight that I could from Houston."

Miles looked at her then me and sighed. Ava must've didn't tell Charlie that she was sick with cancer.

"Charlie, Ava is very sick. I recently found out that she has stage 4 cancer and has less than a month to live."

"What? What do you mean she has cancer my sister was healthy the last time I seen her, she doesn't even look sick! Where is my sister. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHRE MY SISTER IS!" She yelled frantically as tears started to run down her face rapidly. She was an emotional wreck and things shifted quickly.

I felt sorry for her because she didn't know and she found out this way rather than her sister being honest with her. Miles pulled her into a hug to comfort her as she cried.