Chapter 8

Darkest Before the Dawn 

Chapter 8

Dawn's POV 

Waking up this morning felt the most bizarre, the house was in a buzz. You could hear people stirring from all corners of the house and it reminds me about what is happening today. Mates saying goodbye to their loved ones, hoping to return to them safely. The pack cooks can be heard whisking over time down in the kitchen, Gretchen, the head chef yelling at the others to hurry up.  I chuckle to myself peeling the warm blankets off me and sliding to the floor.  

I walk into my naked walk-in wardrobe, all my clothes packed into a large suitcase except for one single outfit sitting on my shelf. It feels strange, my room feels so bare. I have to admit I am nervous about today, although I have complete trust in my pack members this is our first official pack deal. It makes the whole idea of having my own pack...real and I can't pretend any longer. The pressure is hanging heavily on my shoulders, the expectations feel suffocating at times but I've gone through too much and done too much work to give it all up know. I built a family of my own where what is right is actually what is done.  

Dragging my bag down the stairs I walk through the living room leaving my bag by the front door before wandering into the kitchen. Gretchen smiles warmly when she spots me and waves me over and I chuckle peering over her shoulder. Gretchen reminds me of Rosella at times, her homemade cooking, family recipes and the way she makes the whole house smell like cookie dough. Although I love the small reminders of the Alpha pair, it made me miss them more than ever.  

"What's for breakfast?" 

I ask looking into the bowl and I got my answer, she is making waffles. She chuckles turning her head to look at me. 

"I'm making your favourite of course, just a lot of it" 

She says with a smile, getting back to work and I leave her to it. Walking back into the living room I spot Finn waiting for me on the couch. He stands up when he notices me and nods his head respectfully and I give him an nod in return. 

"Has the Moon Cliff pack arrived already?" 

I ask and he shakes his head , flicking his hair over his eyes.  

"They should be here soon Dawn, any minute now" 

He informs me and I nod taking in a deep breath hoping to calm my nerves. 

"Is everything prepared for their arrival?" 

I ask him and he nods his head in agreement and I give him a smile of appreciation. He is a good Beta, making sure everything is ready and taking a lot of the stress right off my shoulders. There is a heavy knock on the front door and one of the men on border patrol walks in. 

"Dawn the Moon Cliff pack have arrived and are seeking entrance" 

He informs me in a very serious way and I give him the look at says this-is-not-the-army before I followed him out the front door. I follow him out the border where a small crowd of about 50 people were waiting patiently outside my land. I walk up to the edge of my territory before I start speaking. 

"Welcome to the Non Grata Pack, my name is Dawn and you can call me as such" 

I say and the crowd goes quiet as they listened and I smiled internally, I was almost afraid they wouldn't respect me at all but it seems as I am giving them refuge they seem to be playing nice. Turning to my left I point at Finn. 

"This is Finn my Beta, he will give you a quick tour of the pack land before showing you to your rooms. Over the next few weeks you will be watched over by my fourth in command Sarah while my beta, third in command and I leave to help your pack"