Old Encounter

She stared back at where Hank was, hoping she was staring him in the eye, she needed to show she was brave. She could feel everyone's eyes on her and she knew she needed to say something. " I know this is some new information..but..thank you for taking us in...and... I understand if you wouldn't want me here anymore, but please, Callin needs somewhere, he isn't like me, so, its okay if he stays here, right?" She bargained truthfully and thoughtfully.

"Ava..n--" Hutson started.
"Shush Hutson! I wanna see what this girl can do, tomorrow you will go out and collect berries for Susie here, we are runnin' low, if you come back with at least a basket full you can stay, and so can your brother, got it girlie?" He spit to the side of him and glared at her.

"Yes sir! " She exclaimed, she must be respectful, he is older anyway.

"Granddad- that's a bit harsh for a child! There's no way you're serio-" Susie protested while Hutson kept quiet in the background, he knew better than to speak back to their grandfather.

"Hush Susie...she's doing it and that's final!" He stormed into one of the nearby rooms, without another word.

"Oh you poor child! No child needs to go through this! Especially a little lady!!" Susie pulled Ava into a bear hug, Ava could barely breath!!

Ava pushed her away gently " a little lady? Just because I'm a girl means I can't do this? I'll raise the stakes! I'll get two baskets! And won't return until I do!" She knew this was risky, but she wasn't going to let her gender stop her from completing this task.

"O..oh darlin' I didn't mean it that way--" Susie began until she was cut off by Hutson " hush sis, let the children sleep, good lord. Go to bed while I make sure Ava here is comfortable, go on"
"Oh you're no fun! " Susie said teasingly and pouted into her room like a child until she bursted out laughing. There was clearly some happy memories between them.

Hutson came over to Ava and placed her in bed next to Callin "go to sleep now Ava, you got a big day aheada' ya'" he chuckled and walked off to what she assumed was his room. She smiled and closed her eyes as she drifted off to sleep, that idiotic smile still on her face.

Her eyes darted open and peered out the window in the kitchen, right across from where she lay sleeping with Callin, all she could see were bright green eyes. The eye quickly disappeared and the sound of running paws echoed to her ears.

He was back....but...why?