Remain

The panting grew louder as the snow started to fall and the whispers of the trees got louder, and louder until, they just stopped. Calins eyes were wide open and observing everything, he knew, it was never going to be the same again. He stared at his older sister, at least I still have her...let's keep it that way.. He thought to himself. His sister was all he had now. He gulped down the cries forming in his chest and shook away the thoughts, he sat in the snow and started making a snow castle. And a snow angle, along with other snow creatures.

"Hey! Calin! Get up! You don't have a jacket or hat, or gloves, you don't have anything!! Get up before you get sickly!" Ava screeched at calin. Mama had always taught her to look out for her brother, she was older, so it did make sense. Mama taught her the housewife needs and how to do their jobs, but, the life of a housewife..Ava had no interest in it. She loved to explore and fight make believe "bad guys" as she would say. She once found a berry bush full of the sweetest and juiciest berries, and mama was able to make them into her birthday cake last year! Her skills in navigation were better than the average man! Hell! More like higher than an educationally informed man! All she needed was her fighting skills...which were not as good as they could be, but she hasn't practiced in awhile. So, maybe she should.

Calin on the other hand, would always go with Ava. And while she explored into caves he guarded or fought trees, sticks, small animals like rabbits. After a while of pretending to fight the rabbit, he would pick it up and show some love. Animals always found their way to him, he even had the nickname, "nature boy" from their father because he always made a sprout grow or animal appear. It may be a late winter night and there would still be plants outside, waiting for Calin of course.

Ava wrapped her arms around her icy brother, who somehow was still warm, she shifted them close enough into each other that they could both fit into one hollow tree hole. It was warmer in there, probably because their bodies were so close together. Calin was the first asleep, and possibly hours later, so was Ava.

Crunching snow, soft breezes, loud horses, loud men, what was going on?

....