Late to the Party

I never thought my life would settle this way. But somehow I fell into a life I never saw myself wanting. I mated and married a man who was amazing, worth more than all the others in this land. His ring sparkled on my finger in the dim light. Ten years together and I still couldn't get enough.

You would think by now we could handle spending a few hours without each other. And yet whenever he was away I missed him. I understood he had to work, but this time it wasn't his job that took him away. It was the high lord that forced us to spend a night apart.

It was Rhysand and his damn need to throw a ball every other month. Tonight we were celebrating him and Feyre's anniversary. Which meant the boys were kept away from the girls. For an entire day and night we were all mateless and it had rubbed me the wrong way. I missed my Cassian.

He was my home. It felt like I hadn't truly been living, as if life hadn't made sense until I found him. 

I shivered in my robe, running my hand through my hair. I was excited to see my sister and her mate celebrate, but spending time away from my mate was hard. I never knew one person could become so important. I never realized I would let him play such a big part.

Last night I woke up searching for him. Instead I found an empty bed and so I held his pillow. It still smelled of him, sandalwood and rain. It wasn't the same, but I fell back asleep a little easier while holding it.

Ten years together and I still feared losing him. Maybe it was the wars that were fought after I was made, or watching his wings heal painfully slow that made me worry. Either way I knew a decade couldn't lessen my fears. So falling asleep without him was hard.

But he was there. He always touched the bond, promising me he was okay. Promising me that he would come back to me. Without that bond in my soul I would've gone crazy. I never worried as a human. You would think immortality wouldn't change that. But I worried about my Cassian. I worried about the people I loved.

It wasn't because I had been remade. It was because Cassian broke down my walls. Cassian broke every barrier I had ever built to keep people out. Now I was a girl I always wished to be, someone who could feel. Someone who could care about her sisters, her husband, and know that it wasn't one sided.

Cassian opened my heart. My life had been so lonely before him.

"Are you still getting ready?" Cassian opened my door as I finished brushing out my hair. I jumped slightly as his raised voice.

But I couldn't help the calm that rushed over me now that he was back.

I smiled, "I take far longer than you do to look this pretty," I stood up and met him in the middle of the room. We had been apart for more than twenty four hours and I had craved his touch. I missed his scent.

I wrapped my arms around him and felt myself finally relax, "I missed you too love," he murmured in my ear. 

I kissed his jaw, "I didn't say I missed you."

He laughed, his arms tightening around me, "I thought it was implied."

He didn't let me answer. He pulled my face to his and kissed me hard, letting me know just how much he had missed falling asleep beside me. Stupid Rhysand and his traditions. 

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled myself closer. The ties on my robe started to loosen, Cassian's hand snaked underneath the fabric. My body shivered as his fingers tickled along my stomach, his fingers dancing along the swell of my breast.

"Gods I love you," I whispered as my eyes closed. 

He growled against my mouth, "let's just forget the party," he whispered as his hand fell to my hips and held me, "no one will miss us."