Book Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Start from the beginning

"Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war war make monsters?"

This book...stands out. It's about a story of war. A war between the chimaera and the seraphim, ressurectionists and murderers, hope and fear. A story of yearning for peace, tranquility and freedom. A story of regret, stereotypes, ignorance, war, love and hate. And the beauty of art incorporated in every single page of this book.

It's very unique. I liked how the chapters sometimes started with 'Once upon a time..."s. I liked how different, retold versions of the mythological creatures and their originations were told. It was fascinating. Please don't feel irritated if you don't know much about the magical creatures mentioned immediately because you will eventually learn a great deal about them. I mean, I didn't really care because as long as my mc is confused, I'll happily remain confused as well.

Taylor explored her settings with absolutely gorgeous writing - the book kicked off with an image of cold, historic and stunning Prague crowded with street dancers and artists, tourists with their umbrellas. A place blooming with medieval buildings and beautiful architecture turning it into a work of art. We were viewing it from an artist's perspective but damn. I want to visit Prague so badly now.

So, a promising plot? Check. Multi-dimensional characters? Check. Impeccable writing? Check. Humour? Check. Good relationships? Check. Why didn't I give this book, 5 stars, then? Here's why:

1) The characters' ridiculous names. Brimstone, Akiva, Kishmish, Kaz? I suppose those are better names than Panju but really? You know what a Kishmish means in my language? Raisin. Names are powerful, okay? I can't take characters with names like that very seriously. I'm not sure if those are Czech names but they're funny. If that's the case, I'm sorry Czech people!

2) I didn't really fancy the dual P.O.Vs much either. I feel like only some authors are able to write perspectives through different eyes and still maintain the pace and the reader's interest but it was still forgivable.

The cliffhanger-ish ending was frustrating too but I guess it's mostly annoying because I don't have the sequel right now. I'm afraid I'll be unable to read anything else until I'm finished with Karou's story.

🍕🍕🍕🍕

This review can also be found on my blog, Goodreads and Tumblr. (Links in bio.)

Pictures I took while reading: