Chapter 22: Secrets

Start from the beginning

"I have to. You don't know what you're dealing with, Sylvester. This isn't your normal fight in a bar, this is dangerous and beyond your Alpha powers." Her last words aggravated my wolf, he wanted to show her his Alpha strength. I held him back well aware that it was not the time for my Alpha male side.

"And you know what we are dealing with?" I raised my eyebrow at her and continued. "You're my mate, Delphi. And this is my duty as your Alpha and your mate to protect you. Do not underestimate the power of an Alpha." I stated. I could see the shift in her expressions but I was yet to convince her completely.

"You're being irrational. Just let me go. I don't have time for arguing on petty reasons." She muttered in one breath. She started walking towards the door but I was still in her way.

"I know you don't believe me, but for just one night. Stay here, for your own sake. We can wake up tomorrow and discuss the future. Please." It was my last straw, if she refused, I couldn't have done anything but let her go.

"I'm going to regret this, but I'll stay." Her whispered in agreement. I smiled at her reply.

"Come on, I have got food." I steered her to the direction of the tray.

She ate as I went over the files I had asked Jason to send. It held the reports of the guards and witness reports. None of them were conclusive. The guards said the intruders were well armed and professionally trained. The three witnesses that Jason gathered gave all different statements that provided no assistance.

"You can sleep in my room." I suggested when I noticed that Delphi had finished eating.

"Don't push it."

"I'll sleep on the couch. The guestrooms aren't cleaned or open right now. And it's too late for me to wake up the staff. I won't try anything, I promise." Of course, I could get a free guestroom but I would spend the entire night by the door to check if she was okay. I was too anxious not to.

Entering the room I motioned for her to sit on the bed and made my way to the wardrobe.

"Here." I said giving her a clean shirt and boxers to change into.
"I think I'll sleep in this." She pointed at her clothes which would be the farthest thing from pajamas.

"You do look awfully comfortable in them but since you are listening to me today, why not go all out?" She took the clothes from me with narrowed eyes and a scowl decorating her face.

"The bathroom is that way, the towels are in the cabinet, if you need to take a bath." I pointed towards the bathroom at the corner of the room.
I heard the shower switching on and started taking out pillows and blankets.

The couch in the room wasn't discomforting, to be honest, it gave a pretty good sleep. I had spent countless late nights on it.
After finishing setting the bed I started stripping off my clothes.
I sensed a presence behind me and turned.

"What are you doing?" Delphi asked staring at my now hardly clothed body. She had just come out of the bathroom as the steam was still there. My shirt reached just above her knees and the boxers looked a hundred times bigger than it should be. Damn, I had a hot mate.
I could smell my shower gel on her mixed with her scent and it was pure bliss. Her cheeks were still flushed from the hot water of the shower.

"What? I sleep in my boxers." I said after my shameless ogling.
"Well, you could make an exception for a day, you know." She muttered, her eyes still clued to what I assumed was my tattoo.

"Why? Does it bother you?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Why should it? You said you wouldn't try anything." She retorted, reminding me of my words. I cursed myself at the promise I made which seemed to cause all the distress at the moment.

"Right, right. Well, your bed is made. If you need anything, I'll be here." I rubbed my hands together and sat down on the couch.

"Good night, Delphi." I said switching off the lights.

"Good night, Sylvester."

I laid wide awake, staring into the darkness. Sleep had deprived me of it's presence and all I could do was look into abyss. As much as I wanted to think that it was because of everything going on, I knew my insomnia was caused mostly due to my mate sleeping in my clothes a few meters away.

"Sylvester?" I heard her low voice call out, muffled yet loud.
"Yeah?" I cleared my throat and replied.

"I had a twin, his name was Ethan." She stated. Her voice was a mere whisper, she was opening up to me.
"Delphi, you don-" I didn't want her to force herself to tell me anything.

"No, I do. Just listen to me, okay?" She cut me off.

"Okay."

"He was my everything, literally my everything. He helped me at every step in my life. I-I was dependant on him. As a child I was quite insecure, being in a crowd had been difficult for me,"

"He was m-my backbone. Our bond seemed to strengthen over the years, if it was even possible. In our teens, Ethan learnt how to f-fight and took to illegal fighting." She took in a sharp breath while I stilled in my position.

"I didn't know about it at first but I saw a tattoo on his shoulder one day and questioned him about it. 'Hoodlum' it had read over a stamp." There was a long pause.

"He t-told me that they promised to take care of me. That th-they would 'Protect his next of kin'. I told him to leave it at once and he d-did, he listened to me." Her voice broke plenty times and I couldn't stand the distance anymore. I walked over to the bed and sat at the edge, she didn't look at me, probably because her eyes had tears she wanted to hide. I took her hand in mine but stayed quiet.

"The tattoo wasn't for everyone who fights, as opposed to what Ethan had thought, it was for the ones who were involved in the top bracket. The street fighting he was involved in was much more dangerous than he had first assumed it to be." I squeezed her hand. I knew of the Hoodlums, they were quite a nuisance but their location was still a well kept secret.

"Once the tattoo was given, he was not allowed to leave and even if he did, he was to be killed as he knew too much after which their next of kin would take their place. Me. Ethan stayed in hiding for days. And in those days he trained me harder." My heart beated a frantically against my chest at the fear of losing her.
I could see the next part was most difficult for her to say as she moved closer to me.

"But on our birthday, we went to the museum, I h-had told him it wasn't safe but he said it's too pu-public a place for anything to happen. He was so so wrong." She had started sobbing quietly, making me slip into the blanket and pull her to myself.

"They k-killed him infront of me, Sylvester. But b-because I couldn't reveal my identity I c-couldn't do anything, the people ar-around were all in on the p-plan and helped the murder commence. Helpless. I was utterly helpless like I am n-now. They have found me. That's why they are after m-me but they'll kill me now since I know too much, why they contacted you is still b-beyond me." She finished.

There was silence between us as I took in the terrifying incidents.

And through all this, I knew one thing for sure.
I would protect her with my life.

*******

That was a loooong chapter.
How did you guys like the big reveal?!
Was it up to the mark?
Anything to add?
Comments please!

Vote!
Love,
Rojesta💜