Chapter 40

•107•

Renaissance period

Anne

Tonight is quite different and I feel different, like, I'm very far from being at ease. There's no moon tonight, it's being blocked by a thick layer of cloud. I wonder if there's going to be storm. I strut forward to reach the tea mother made for me. Since the moon's illumination can't reach the earth, I should drink this in order for me to gain the small sum of power the moon can't give me tonight.

See the moon means a lot to me and that's why I had to do things Athan possibly might not be ecstatic about.

Our home is silent, it's empty and the only one inside is me. I drink the mild green liquid from the mug before I look back at the door that I just closed and made sure I locked it before I proceed to go up my room. Just after I took the first step to the train of stairs I chocked and fell to my knees. I gasp and gasp for air but I can barely breathe.

I snap my head towards the direction of the door and there is a man.

I can't see his whole face because from the bridge of his nose and up is being covered by his hood. He smiled and unlocked the door. He pushed it open, as if opting me to come out and see something.

My anger consumed me therefore whatever he mixed in my drink barely has an effect on me. Or at least that's what I thought. I reach down my right hand, burying it beneath the surface and I hold onto it like a lever, sending my attack towards him from under the ground. Before it could reach him, he leaped and disappeared.

I hurried up and went outside. He was gone. But there are smoke everywhere! My eyes widen as I saw people have started running out of their homes.

The town is under attack. Fire started to spread, burning down trees and wooden houses Ex Mayor Eliodore provided for the less fortunate.

"Athan." I remembered her and I hurriedly left and ran towards the Ex Mayor's enormous house without locking the house first. I ran and ran. It isn't very far but I decided to take the short cut. I went left and into the trees, away from the main road of the town. Trees are all I see and that's a very good thing, I suppose.

Approaching the middle, I heard footsteps running towards my direction. At first I was alarmed but relief hugged me as I saw Athan with the same worried expression.

Before we could be in each others embrace, another man in black robe is above our heads and his fist welcomed Athan's jaw. Athan rolled on the soil and away from me while someone held a sword to my throat. He had my head locked. There are two more at my side holding my arm and preventing me from making any destructive spells. My arms are surrounded by a dark aura that are coming from the hooded creatures. "ATHAN!" I shouted she was defending herself but failing. I instantly noticed she is not as strong as she usually is. I have a hunch she also took something that weakened her without noticing it. "Athan fight and run!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. But it was too late. She was knocked out on the floor, already covered in bruises and dirt and that's when I started to cry.

"Tell me," The voice from behind me said. "where is your lesbians lover's moonstone?" his grip on me is tight and there was no escaping. I barely even moved a centimeter but I already feel the blade slightly cutting the skin under my chin.

I spoke carefully and firmly, "I don't know."

"Ugh!" Athan groaned as she became conscious again. She was being held back by three of them and there are others that are surrounding us, guarding. "No! Autumn! Let go of her I will fucking kill you-"