I Want More

Trigger Warning: racial slurs, attempted rape

*This chapter also has sexual themes (consensual)

Addy

I felt good and the smile that Blake had put on my face was making him cocky but I didn't care. For the first time since maybe my mama, I found something else to like about Alabama.

I kept sneaking looks at Blake as we walked back but he always caught me and I realized that was because he was staring at me. It felt good to like someone as much as they liked me.

We were walking alongside the road we had used to get to the bar. The other people had left before us and sounds of talking and laughter reached us occasionally from ahead of us. The trees all around us rustled with the night air and despite the sounds of the leaves everything was silent.

Then when we were close to the bakery a loud scream cut through the night.

I didn't hesitate, I took off running down the road. I could hear my blood pumping through my heart as my feet pounded against the road. The closer I got, the more of the red truck I could see and the four white men standing over a black girl.

Her skirt was hiked up to her waist and her panties were down as she struggled against one of the men's boots on her stomach. "Now listen here nigger, you won't be screaming no more, will ya?"

One of the men kicked her swiftly in her side and she grunted. "Will ya bitch!"

One of the other men went to bend down then they saw me running towards them.

A horrible grin spread across the face of the man who kicked her. White teeth shown in the moonlight.

"Get off her!" I yelled letting pure rage tear through my words. I was done watching black women get victimized. One of the men laughed.

"Honey, clearly there's enough of us for both of your black cunts," His easy smile and the sickening glint in his eyes made the anger I felt boil. I ran up to him and kicked him in the knee.

Instead of howling in pain he dealt a swift punch into my abdomen. Pain exploded in my stomach and made me double over. I fell to my knees gasping for air.

The man bent over as I looked up at him, "How nice of you to get in position for us," he went to grab my hair but before he could a sickening crunch sounded.

Blood exploded from the man's nose. My vision was getting blurry as I felt tears well up in my eyes. I heard punches and more bone crunching. I felt a small hand rub my back and a sweet voice trying to talk to me but the pain was all I could pay attention to.

I desperately tried to catch my breath as I wiped my eyes. When I could see again I saw one of the men on the ground weakly reaching for a gun in his holster. He was pointing it passed me and I just knew his bullet was headed for Blake.

I crawled slowly to get to a branch by the side of the road and I clutched it my hands. I got passed the crippling pain just enough to get up and walk the couple of steps to smash his head in with the wood.

I kept hitting him over and over and over and over. It wasn't until strong arms wrapped around me and pulled me away, that I stopped. I shook all over, feeling so small encased in those strong arms. I looked at the man on the ground and thought what have I done. Blood pooled around his head and all I could think about was that I had just killed a white man. Nowhere in the south could I find forgiveness for what I had just done.

I searched frantically for any sign of life and I thought I saw the man's chest rise and fall but the strong arms turned me around. I rested my head against the familiar chest and cried.