Show time battle on

Start from the beginning

"I want the two of you to go downstairs and lock yourselves in the cell." Damon spoke as we looked baffled at him. "I have had a lock installed from the inside so no one can get to you."

"We will not!" both Elena and I exclaimed.

"Do you know how fast you could get your heads ripped off?" Stefan added and he showed glints of the Ripper as his upper lip curled upwards just the slightest; he was probably not even aware of it. "I want you to be safe." The look he gave Elena, with his hand on her cheek, was full of compassion and guilt from what he had put her through and I wanted to smile and shout 'Yes!' for the breakthrough. Was he finally about to reconnect with his conscience again; with his humanity? There would be a lot of pain to get through, could they really manage that together, or would it drive them apart?

Klaus went past us. "They're right, humans don't last long," he said and I felt a strong need to stick my tongue out at him. There was something about him that just triggered my will to provoke.

With the fear showed for him from the Vampire Diaries, I really shouldn't, but still couldn't help myself. "Why don't you just go out and take care of your puppies..." I mumbled and Damon snickered but spun around and held me behind his back in case Klaus' looks really could kill.

"Could you please hold her on a shorter leach?" His eyes were ice-cold and his voice mirrored that. "Perhaps in a dungeon in the basement?" he suggested sarcastically as his eyes drifted over to me. I felt once again like sticking my tongue out at him.

Damon was the one who took us downstairs, he showed us the newly installed lock on the inside and then he closed the door on us and told us to lock up. In a corner water bottles were placed, and he made sure we had our phones in case things would get out of hand.

"Be careful!" I said and he kissed me though the bars and then he locked the door from the outside.

"Damon!" Elena yelled. "Now we can't get out!" she barged up to the little barred window.

"Exactly! You would be out of here as soon as I left, we can't have that." His tone was very caring and he stroked her cheek. I didn't know if I maybe should be looking away, but Stefan showed up outside the little barred window next to Damon.

"Are you okay in here?"

"I would rather help you upstairs. You have to be careful Stefan!" The compassion in her voice was obvious.

He looked back at her with worry and care. "I promise, and I'm sorry for the lockdown, but we have to keep you safe."

Sounds upstairs made the brothers exit quickly and then there were silence. Down there in the cell we had nothing else to do than to than to talk and talk.

"I'm sorry about the conversation in the kitchen; Damon and I were just talking." Elena looked really guilty.

I kept pretending that I hadn't heard them. "Elena, I know Damon means a lot to you... And he cares a lot about you as well." I smiled at her, trying to make her feel better even if it sure didn't make myself feel better.

"But Emma, he kissed me just a couple of weeks ago, and I kissed him back."

Oh...

Noise upstairs made us flinch, making it hard to hold a conversation.

"I knew it was wrong and when I told Stefan what happened, he just left. He wouldn't talk to me about it." Her eyes welled up and I laid my arm around her. "And now I feel guilty for you guys, it looks like Damon really likes you."

I was looking dumbfounded at her. "But Elena... you belong here, I don't, we both know that."

"Stop saying that!" She looked angry. "I don't have a lot of friends left. My family is all gone, Damon compelled Jeremy to leave."

"What?"

We both looked startled up as another crash reverberated through the building, before we returned to the conversation again.

"It was my idea, so don't blame Damon. I just wanted Jeremy to have some kind of normal childhood, without vampires, witches, ghosts and hybrids running amok." I could feel her pain as she almost slumped down next to me.

"I know the feeling, Elena. Not having any family, I mean, the feeling of being alone. No matter how many friends and people you have around you, you're still alone."

She lifted her teary eyes and looked at me. "Yes, I think you do know the feeling." We kept looking intense at each other and then sounds from above caught our attention. It was definitely sounds of a fight going on with slamming and crashing sounds mixed with groaning and screaming. I would have thought that this place of the house was so distant, that we wouldn't hear, but when we were silent it was way too audible.

Without being able to do anything but to sit there on the cot and look at the ceiling we drifted off in our own thoughts for a while.

"Stefan apologised for almost running me off Wickory bridge..." Her voice was thin and almost a whisper. "I could see the old Stefan in his eyes, then."

"He comforted me when I stood upstairs, bawling," I revealed with an eye roll. "I think the old Stefan is in there just beneath the surface. But you've got to give him time to get over the kiss between Damon and you; they've already been through this rivalry with Katherine, remember?"

She sat up and looked straight at me. "I think he is in there still."

"Maybe he just needs to sort all of this out, and get some sort of help..." I pondered.

We were looking intense at each other again. "What if Lucy and her witch-friends can get Lexi back? I'm sure she would know what to do."

We slumped back against the wall and each other and sat in silence in our own thoughts again.

"Could she really come back okay?" Elena wondered aloud. "Maybe she's all messed up?"

We both sighed and sat in silence, contemplating the potential of her being okay, or even if it could work. The silence felt threatening and we were worried about the people who meant a lot to us, and through the silence, we heard fighting going on upstairs. Every sound made us flinch.

It was more bearable to keep the conversation flowing, so we kept talking about everything. Elena told me about her life when her parents had been alive, that she had been a bit of a stuck-up brat, cheerleader and all. I told her about the several foster families I had before I was eleven and was adopted by the people I called my family now.

We didn't notice when the house went silent.

.