The First Victim

~~~

This knot, it was tying himself to the ground, no, to his father. Adrien suddenly felt a bit sick.

~~~

"One week today, bro!" Nino exclaimed

"Huh?" It took Adrien a moment to realise what Nino was talking about, "Oh, right! Yup," Adrien grinned, "Then another year older."

"We should hold a house party in the common room! With you as the birthday boy, everyone'll turn up. It would be sick!"

"No parties," Adrien said sharply.

"What?"

"Sorry," said Adrien, "I didn't mean to snap, but...no parties."

Nino looked slightly crestfallen, "Why not?"

"I'm not much of a party person." he lied "And, all those people, it would be slightly overwhelming."

"Uh huh," Nino wasn't buying it.

"And,"Adrien hesitated and ran his hands through his hair, "Father wouldn't approve."

"There it is," Nino didn't say anything for a moment, "but what your father doesn't know won't hurt him right?"

Adrien shook his head, "He'd find out.'

"How?" asked Nino incredulously, "He's all the way on the other side of the country!"

"I don't know, but he would find a way."

"Oh come on man, live a little."8

"I'm sorry Nino. No party," he said with finality.

"Alright, alright, chill man. No party."

Adrien smiled gratefully, "Thanks. Now let's go get some food."

~~~

Marinette sleepily blinked her eyes as she took another slow bite of her toast. Alya, on the other hand, seemed wide awake as she intently read the morning newspaper. Marinette yawned and forced herself awake, "Anything interesting going on in the world?"

Alya continued reading for a moment before looking up, "Nothing much, just some strange..." She drifted off and her eyes flicked back down to finish the article.

"Some strange what?" asked Marinette.

"Nothing, nothing." Alya noisily folded up her morning newspaper, "The world's all good," She tossed it aside. "I was thinking, I want to join the student newspaper group."

"Go for it, you wanna become a reporter right?"

Alya nodded, "I'm just having trouble coming up with something to write about, though. I mean, you know how much I love Harry Potter and other wizarding heroes, but there's not many of them around right now, especially in France."

"Oh, well I'm sure something will come up."

"Yeah," Alya sighed before perking up. She put her chin in her hands and looked at Marinette intensely. "Whatever," she smiled mischievously, "So, when are you going to give it to him?"

Marinette squeaked and dropped her toast, fully awake now, "His birthday isn't for another week yet!"

"But the present is done right?"

"It just needs a few more finishing touches."

"Girl, you've been holed up in that art room for the last two months! How can it not be done yet?"

"It has to be perfect," Marinette mumbled her protest.

"Oh, Mari. He'll love it no matter what." She sat up, "Do I get to see it yet?"