Chapter One The Box

THOMAS'S P.O.V

Everyone gathered round the box. Everyone was whispering and they all looked rather nervous and confused. 

 "Doesn't this happen often?" I asked Chuck who was next to me. 

 "Yeah, but not two Greenies in two days it normally happens every mouth, same day, same time." Chuck answered not shifting his gaze from the box. The box made a big booming sound as it finally reached the top. Newt and Alby went to the side of the box and opened the metal doors together. When it was opened Newt jumped in and looked around. Everyone moved in closer. 

 "It's a... a girl." Newt said from inside the box. The Gladers broke out in shocked whispers. 

 "A girl?" 

 "What's she look like?" 

 "How old is she?" 

 "I got dibs!" 

"You can't call dibs!" Newt shouted. Everyone slowly quieted down. 

"That's not bloody half of it," He said pointing down into the box. 

"I think she's dead." Newt and Alby jumped into the box and together they slowly lifted the girl out of the box. They laid her on the floor next to the box. She was quiet short by what I could tell. She had a soft expression and longish light brown hair. She looked to be fifteen of sixteen. It was sad to let such a pretty face like hers die. 

 "Get over here Greenie." Newt said ushering me to come over. I came over and knelt down next to the girl across from Newt and Alby. 

"You know this girl?" Alby asked I shook my head. 

"you sure?" he asked again. 

 "Yes. Why?" I asked very confused at the moment. 

 "Can't be a coincidence. Two days, two Greenies, one alive, one dead." Alby muttered. 

"You don't think I ..." I muttered considering what Alby just said. 

 "Slim it Greenie, we're not sayin' you bloody killed the girl." Newt said staring at me. Then suddenly someone shouted through the crowd. 

 "What's she holding?" Newt, Alby and I looked down there was a rolled up piece of paper in her hand. Newt leant down and took it out of her hands. I saw how much he liked brushing his hands against hers. He unrolled the paper and read it our loud. 

"She's the last one. Ever." 

And sure enough on the paper in thick black letters were five words:

She's the last one. EVER.