January

/////

I walked into the coffee shop, that had opened about a week ago. It was my first time coming here.

New York City is pretty cold in the winter, so I'm glad they opened a coffee shop close to where I live. I just moved here a month ago.

I walked in, finding a huge line. I guess everyone had the same idea this morning.

I step in line, hoping it won't take that long, when I spot a cute brown haired boy in front of me.

"Excuse me?" I smile, getting his attention.

"Hi." He smiles.

"Hi. I'm new here in New York, what's the best to order at coffee shops?"

"In the wintertime I usually get a peppermint mocha, it's really good." He says.

"I'll try it. Thanks." I smile again.

"You're welcome." He warmly smiles.

He was so cute.

15 minutes later, the boy was finally ordering his coffee.

"I'll buy hers too." I hear him say to the barista, pointing his thumb at me.

"Hey," I lightly smack his shoulder.

"Yes?" He smirks, turning around to look at me.

"You didn't have to do that."

"But I wanted to."

"Well, thank you." He nods, grabbing his coffee and sitting in a booth.

"Ma'am, what would you like?" The barista asks.

"I'll try a peppermint mocha."

When my coffee was ready, I went and sat by the boy.

"Why did you buy my coffee?" I asked.

"What? I don't get to know your name?" He laughs.

"It's Marissa. Now, why did you buy me that coffee?!"

"My name is Ryland, nice to meet you Marissa." He grabs my hand and shakes it.

"Yeah yeah, nice to meet you too." I shrug.

"I bought you that coffee because you seem like a sweet girl, you're cute too." Ryland winks.

My cheeks turn flushed.

"Now, why don't you tell me about yourself, Marissa?"

//////

That was the month we met in the coffee shop.