I shut my eyes again and shift a little over the hospital wing bed. "Sirius," I moan. "Sirius, lie on top of me."

"I'd crush you, love." Sirius laughs. "Would you settle for me lying beside you?"

I sigh dramatically, "I suppose."

Sirius climbs in beside me, careful not to touch any of my broken areas, and tucks my hair behind my ear. James and Remus clear their throats and mumble something about needing to be somewhere before dragging Peter out of the room with them.

Once the doors are slammed shut, Sirius chuckles, "They aren't smooth."

"No they aren't." I giggle. "But I love that they try to be." I turn my head to look him in the eyes. "What?"

"I just think you're beautiful."

I snort in amusement. "Sirius, I'm literally covered in blood, sweat and tears. I look hideous right now."

"It's not possible." He glances down at our brushing fingers and takes my hand. He turns it over and starts tracing small patterns in my palm.

"Tickles." I whisper.

"Sorry." He smiles and stops touching me.

"I didn't say I didn't like it." I pull his hand back making him raise his eyebrows but that surprise is quickly washed away with a smirk. "Guess what I'm drawing."

He traces something with his finger and I smile wider as I realize what it is, "A heart."

"Mhm," He hums. "And now?"

"Sirius," I roll my eyes playfully and emit a small laugh. "are you just going to keep drawing hearts on me?"

"It's making you laugh, so yes." He purses his lips. "How do you feel?"

"Yeah, alright." I lie.

He looks at me knowingly. "You almost died, my love. You can be honest with me. You don't always have to put on a smile for everyone – no matter how beautiful that smile is."

"But I like to smile. Smiling is my favourite."

"You're cute."

"Shut up." I make to playfully shove his arm but he grabs my wrist to stop me causing my breath to catch in my throat.

"Make me." He smirks.

I glance down at his lips which look more inviting than ever. I try to move forward but my broken collarbone stops me from doing so. "Ow ow ow ow!" I retreat back onto the bed and groan in frustration.

"Maybe I shouldn't do this while you're quite literally broken. I'm sorry." Sirius looks at me guiltily.

Before I can say anything else, Lily comes storming into the room. "Chiara! Are you okay, lovely?!" Lily asks in concern as she stalks up to the bed. "What hurts? Can I get you something? Water? Pillow? Anything?"

"I'm okay, Lils." I smile at her and nod reassuringly.

"I'd hug you right now if I wasn't afraid of breaking you." Her green eyes are watering.

"No! No, Lily please don't start crying." I say in a warning tone. "If you cry then I'll cry."

A tear trickles down her cheek anyway and I suddenly feel my own eyes welling with tears. "When someone tells me not to cry it just makes me even more vulnerable." She whimpers.

A tear falls down my cheek and that's all it takes for me to start balling. This is what happens when you keep things in. Once you start, it'll be a while before you can stop again. Sirius whips out a handkerchief from his back pocket and starts dabbing my tears away with the corner of it.

Lily sniffles. "I, uh, Benji gave me a letter. Told me to give it to you." She fidgets with the letter in her hands. "He also told me that he'll stop by later to see you."

I wipe my eyes. "Okay. Thank you." She hands me the letter and I take a minute to skim it. After taking in its contents, a smile finds my lips.

"Who's it from?" Sirius asks curiously, twirling a piece of my hair between his fingers.

"Mum says my cousin Elliot is coming to spend Christmas with us. I haven't seen him in the longest time! You know how it is with cousins though. You could go so long without talking and then the moment you see each other it's as if you haven't been apart."

Sirius laughs, "That's if you don't have cousins like mine." I take his hand. He jokes about his family but I know that's just because it bothers him. I cope with things the same way.

"Sounds like you have an exciting break ahead of you then." Lily smiles, wiping her cheeks with her sleeve.

"Yeah," I fold the letter back up. "now I've got something to look forward to."