chapter 5

"So who are you? Why are you here?" Bucky asked.

"Well I was assigned to you. I work here," you told him, maintaining eye contact.

"What exactly was your assignment?" He looked a little concerned.

"I was told to be here when they woke you from cryogenic sleep. They want me to help you recover and get some of your memories back. So we'll meet every so often, to talk about stuff or whatever you feel like," you reassured him. He nodded to show you he understood. A little smile shone through as he looked down at his feet.

"And what about this?" he lifted up what used to be his metal arm. His eyes dropped a little but you answered quickly as to not make the moment too sappy.

"Oh don't you worry about that. We have plans to get you something new," you gave him a big smile when his eyes met yours again.

He wasn't exactly going to like the idea that Tony was developing his new arm, but until it was time to fit it on him, he didn't need to know. You looked at his shoulder, which was wrapped in a black bandage all the way around. He would probably miss his arm, as any person would, but he probably felt relief as well. Having a big, strong metal arm was cool and unique, but for Bucky, it was the bright red star on the side that was the problem. It was a sign of his past, a sign of his pain and torture that brought him to where he was today. Having that arm blasted off wasn't the most humane way that it could have gone, but now he gets some sort of new start.

"I'm going to go do something real fast, and then I can show you around and bring you to your room," you explained to him.

He nodded and went back to staring at his feet. You walked out of the lab and went down to the surveillance room where Tony, Steve, and Natasha were. To your surprise, Sam was there observing as well.

Sam stood in the corner watching the screen,"Well, well (Y/N), looks like you've got yourself a friend," he said as he gave you a quick wink.

"You handled that surprisingly well," Tony added.

"Oh yeah, so what was that 'if you need any help just yell' stuff, Tony? I was literally choked on the screen in front of you and yet you sent Natasha, who acted like nothing happened!" Tony huffed while his eyes never left Bucky. You were a little angry at him for letting that happen without anyone else in the room, but Steve soon interrupted.

"I saw it happen and I ran over to the lab as soon I could, but I watched him through the glass. I stopped in my tracks, but only because I noticed how he was looking at you. I swear my hand was about to open the door, but he let you go before I did. I'm sorry (Y/N)," Steve told you while looking over at Tony.

"That's okay Steve. Thanks you trying though," you paused for a second in though, "but he did look at me a little funny, didn't he?" You looked up at the group, waiting for their reactions.

Sam nodded in agreement, as did Natasha. Even Tony acknowledged your observation.

"I agree (Y/N), it was almost like knew you already. I don't know how you do it," Steve continued, "You really get people to trust you." Steve crossed his arms, and scrunched his eyebrows in thought. "But to be honest, I don't think he needs a therapist. He needs something a little more constant."

You looked down at your shoes and hoped Steve wasn't about to say what you thought he was going to say. You waited for Tony to say something, after all he did assign you this task.

"However," Steve raised a finger and your head shot up, "I don't want to risk taking him on missions with us yet, so he needs to stay here for a while longer. How about instead of a therapist, just bunk rooms with him and keep him company. Given your background, I think you'd be the best person to do that (Y/N)."

"What do you think guys?" You turned to the others and listened to their feedback.

Sam crossed his arms and nodded, and Tony shrugged because honestly, you don't think he cared all that much.

Nat gave you a small grin, "Well if she can handle getting threatened as well as she did, I'm sure she'll be just fine sitting on the couch with the guy and watching tv."

You looked back at Steve, whose face softened a little after hearing his new plan being approved.

Tony shook his head a little and looked at the ground. He finally looked away from Bucky's screen and called to his watch he was wearing, "Friday, I need you to stock up the biggest room we have. Other than mine of course," Tony gave a devilish grin. "This way you and Winter can be in closer quarters, and it'll be much more comfortable than in the blindingly white cubicles in this wing. We get the nice stuff."

His kindness threw you off because all you can ever expect from Tony was a witty comment or a nickname. Maybe this was a gift for almost getting choked to death before.

"Thank you Tony. I'll grab my stuff, grab Bucky, and head over there." You waved to the three and headed back to down the hall.

His eyes lit back up when he saw you. He slowly rose up from the bed and waiting for you to walk closer to him. He was so muscular and tall, and your height related to him was perfect for hugging. He was tall enough to wrap his arm completely around you, and his chest was perfectly placed so that you could hear his heartbeat when you hugged. Or at least you hoped that's how it was. You'd have to wait to hug him to find out, but now wasn't exactly the time.

"Hey Buck, there has been a change of plans," you explained as you stepped closer to him. His eyes didn't leave your until you spoke again, "We'll be staying together in a suite on the other side of the building."

His face scrunched up, "Wait, I thought you had your own room over here?"

You nodded, "Yes but I've been told that I need to stay with you constantly. Nothing crazy, just to keep you company."

He looked back up at you as if he had heard the greatest news in the world. He was so glad, so you nodded once more and motioned towards the door.

"I need to get my stuff, and then we can find our way over."

You shuffled towards the door and he followed you like a puppy. It was really cute, and made you giggle a little. He was so cute and it was going to be hard not to fall in love with his scruffy face.