Prologue (edited)

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to ensure the survival and success of liberty."

- John F. Kennedy

There was a presence there and she knew it. She could feel it in her bones and in every crevice of her body. Her gut was telling her to run and hide, but her over curious mind only drew her closer to it. She wanted to find the source, whatever had deemed to follow her around in this world. 

This world was perfect. There was no war or poverty or sickness. There was only harmony and peace. This presence though, this was the opposite. It was terrifying and foreboding and sent shivers down her spine. It did not belong here. It was like if the sun had decided to never show its face again and the world was thrown into an eternity of darkness.

 Darkness. That's what it was and perhaps it wasn't an 'it' at all or rather some unnerving feeling that she couldn't shake — one that stalked her from the moment she woke up to the moment she found sleep again. 

 That was when she noticed. When she noticed the world she lived in wasn't quite right. Perfect didn't really exist, did it? It couldn't. If everything were perfect then there would be no effort needed. Nobody would have to work towards bettering the community and society, because there would be nothing to improve.

Yet, the people who ruled over their perfect community, they pitched their citizens this idea of perfect like it was some new product. One that they could buy and own and keep for eternity. Even if there was such thing as perfection, it could not last an eternity. There would always be something bound to knock it off balance and ruin it. She feared the day others began to realize these sort of lies they were fed. That day, she imagined, the world would burn.

Civilizations would fall and the world would no longer be as it was meant to be. There would be no harmony or balance. The scales that existed to keep the world in working order would be tipped and it wouldn't be in any way that would benefit the world but rather destroy it. The destruction would be so catastrophic there would be no coming back from that type of damage.

These lies, the ones her government leaders fed their citizens. They were dangerous. It is better for the people to see the world as the imperfect place it is and will always be. To lie about perfection is to give them false hope and when that false hope is taken away... people don't come back from that.

She'd seen it in the elderly, when they realize their life is coming to an end after they wished it would not. She saw it in children when they grew up and realized that the fairy tales their parents had told them were actually false. She saw the curious light leave their eyes as they realized their fantasy world was not as it seemed. 

 Someday, she hoped not soon, the childlike naivety of the citizens of this world would be ripped away. Their blindfold of lies would be taken away and that would be left alone to see the truth of perfection. Perhaps that truth will be blinding, but it will not be from a bright light. It will be from a darkness that leaves them questioning the fate of their own lives. 

 And this darkness, it will love the taste of fear that leaks from them as they realize that they have been living in a lie.  

~~~~~~~~

A.N.: yikes OKAY so yes Chandlar started a new book (sorry but i mean not really). I actually really really like this one, it's based off a weird dream I had and it'll be dystopian and pretty great. I'll still update skin changers every once in a while so never fear I won't end it.

But any way:
• don't forget to leave a vote (I need inspiration to continue writing some how)
• and feedback in the comments is always appreciated

Hope you enjoy :) -  chan