24.

Melanie Stephen

I sat behind my brother in court shaking nervously. I thought that his appeal would end up the same as all the other ones he'd filed...Declined. The way the judge talked about his case he seemed uninterested as if it were wasting his time. I knew that this time wouldn't be any different from the others, but I'm not gonna give up so easily.

"Well I don't know what was up with the last judges, but I agree with the actions you took to protect your little sister. Hell if it were me, I would've done the same thing." The old judge started off.

Magic held eye contact with him the whole time with his lawyer rummaging through papers as he spoke.

"I will definitely appeal your prison sentence. On behalf of the court system of Atlanta, I apologize for the long 11 years you spent incarcerated for actions that were appropriate during the situation. I, Judge Walter Briggs, set you, Damerian Stephen, free with a clean record and no probation or parole. Court is adjourned." He slammed the gavel down hard causing it to echo through the courtroom.

Tears started to flow quickly as the words processed in my mind. Magic is finally free? My parents jumped up and cheered while hugging me tightly before hugging him. He cried into my father's shoulders while they embraced. Miles sat looking confused causing me to look at him confused.

"What happened the reason to why he was in here for so long?" He asked. I never told Miles about what happened or anyone really besides Jules since it's a personal matter.

"Um well I was—" I got cut off by my parents coming over.

"How about we all go out and celebrate later on?" My mother asked.

"Yeah we'd love to." I smiled and looked over to Miles. He had this look that I knew all to well.

"Oh Melanie you had something to tell me?" Magic said excitedly. I forgot about that and I almost dreaded to tell them about my pregnancy under the circumstances I was under. Maybe I could leave the very large detail about me not knowing my baby's daddy out.

"Well I uh...hmm...Okay so I went to the doctor's and found out that I'm pregnant."

My dad's eyes grew big and magic's facial expression said it all. I smiled nervously, hoping that they would say something quickly before I got emotional.

"Melanie you're pregnant? Melanie's pregnant?" My dad said as if he couldn't wrap his thoughts around it.

"Yes honey she is by this lovely guy sitting beside her." My mother said happily while touching Miles shoulder. She was always cool with Miles and my dad too, it's just the fact that his baby girl is no longer little and is about to start a family of her own.

"Melanie I'm so happy for you." He finally spoke while shedding a tear. I thought that I wouldn't get emotional about this but I couldn't help it. I cried like a big ass baby finally knowing that my family was complete. My brother was free, my parents were there with me, and Miles was there through it all.

"I love you so much dad." I cried into his shirt.

"I love you more baby girl, and you'll always be my baby girl no matter how old you get." He chuckled.

I looked over to Magic and he gave me a smile and thumbs up. I smiled back and did the same.

"I'm so sorry magic I wanted to introduce you to my boyfriend, Miles. Miles this is my brother Damerian but we call him magic as you can see." I giggled.