CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.

Start from the beginning

"Come here, champ." Eric rasped, squatting down to engulf a grinning Drew. He giggled as he was embraced into a hug by his father. My heart warmed and I couldn't help but think how perfect the moment was.

But like always - no perfect moments lasts for long.

"What did I just hear?!" An angry, high-pitched voice yelled. All our eyes trailed over to her. There she stood in the doorway, glaring with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Janice," I heard Eric sigh.

"Don't 'Janice' me! What did I just hear? Please tell me it's not true, or I swear I will..." She trailed off, muttering to herself. I noticed the kids frown in confusion.

"How could you make such a decision without consulting me first?" She fired. Eric's face became emotionless, and he stood up, facing her.

"Can we not do this right now, Janice?" He sternly said. I bit down on my bottom lip, locking my eyes on the carpentered ground.

"No! We're doing this right now! What's gotten into you, E? You're seriously letting the same witch back into your life?!" She screamed. A layer of range built in my stomach, but I held back from spitting out a comment. My children were present.

"Janice!" Eric growled in a warning tone. 

"What? You don't like me calling her that? Well, I'm sorry, but it's the truth. She's just trying to find a way back into your life...she wants to hurt you again, E." 

I bit down on my bottom lip, inhaling a deep breath. Her words were lies, all terrible, horrible lies. 

"That's not true." I finally let out. She arched a brow, her eyes darting to me.

"Oh, it's not?" 

"Yes, Janice, it's not. Now stop trying to brainwash him with your cheap thoughts." I muttered. Her eyes glowered at me. 

"This has nothing to do with you, so I suggest you keep your mouth closed." She flashed a sarcastic smile my way.

"Oh, but it does. You're here talking about me, and referring to me as a witch. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me." I arched a brow. She huffed, darting her eyes back to Eric.

"You're sleeping on the couch tonight, Eric. And don't you dare think this conversation is over!" She coldly muttered, before strutting away.

"She's deluded if she thinks I'm sleeping on the couch. It's my fucking house." I heard him mutter under his breath.

I let out a sigh, peering down at the children, who wore confused expressions.

"She's really mean, mommy! I don't like her!" Sophia frowned.

"Yeah, me too, if anything, she's the witch." Drew joined in. They both giggled, making me smile in return.

"That's enough now, kids. Don't speak about your elders like that." I told them sternly, not wanting them to pick up bad manners. They nodded, bowing their heads.

"Now go play, I'll fix you both up a snack that you can munch on later." I smiled. They nodded, before dashing out the door to play.

My eyes darted back to Eric, who was watching me intensely. 

"Are you okay?" I softly asked him. He sighed, nodding.

"I'm fine."

"But is everything going to be all right? I don't want to be the cause of a...a fight between you two." I frowned. He exhaled, looking at me with soft eyes.

"Don't pay her words any attention, okay?" He asked. I nodded, hesitantly.

"I'll sort things out. And if she likes it or not, you're staying." He muttered, firmly.