Ch. 22

"Tell me I'm alright,
With a goodbye."
-Canals by All Time Low

Mom died the next day. This time, I didn't go. I think you know why. Jason and Luke said they were going to clean out the house and send me my stuff. I told them to keep it or throw it in the garbage- burn it if they wanted too. Uncle Rob was near by and heard what I said over the phone, and tried to convince me not to, but I told him just the same.

Summer break started in June. Two months from now would be a year into medical school and of meeting Hannibal. I was really wanting to spend the summer with Hannibal to try and get the past where it's supposed to be- behind me.

I didn't even know how I was going to spend those two months besides that. Spending it in the apartment was kind of an option; get a television and buy a stack of movies, or even get a smart TV that has Netlfix. That seemed completely doable. I had enough money for it. I could even invite Mia if Hannibal was busy.

I got ready to go to the nearest store that sold TV's -Walmart, apparently was the closest- there was a knock on the door. I had an idea who it was, yet I looked through the peepwhole anyway, and my suspciousens were answered accordinly. It was the man across the hall, Hannibal.

I opened the door and swung it opened. "Hey, I was just about to come over and ask you something." I tell him with a smile.

"Interesting, I came over to do just the same." The way Hannibal said this, it didn't sound pleasing.

I stepped back as he came through the doorway and I closed the door behind him. He stood in the kitchen, hands behind his back and though he showed no emotion, the air seemed tense.

"What is it?" I asked, my brows furrowing a bit.

"Your aunt, found my number. She told me that what happened to your father and uncle was accident -the two friends admitted it after Zack was gone- and the same for your mother, as you know-"

"Right, the truck hit her."

"She told me that Zack disappeared after he was charged... but he never found out about it. Your brothers' knew, you knew, and the you told me after you found out."

"Where are you going with this?" My hands cross gently under my chest as I look him up and down.

Hannibal sighed and glanced at the ground, then smirked. "Your aunt thinks I killed Zack. 'He knew Amelia longer than you and was protective, you knew it', she said. 'Less competition'."

I look from him to the ground. This hurt, both in the thought and Aunt Delilah even thinking of it. The thought was nerve racking, thinking someone that I had feelings for killed someone I knew ever since we were probably still in diapers. This made my heart hurt and eyes start to water. I didn't want to think about. Why didn't she call me about it? Did she think Hannibal wasn't going to tell me or was she hoping he would to soften the blow?

I could tell by the way Zack talked the day we had the argument, he didn't want me to see Hannibal again. He saw something in him that I didn't see. No, that couldn't be. He wouldn't hurt anyone, would he?

I pushed back my tears as best as I could and looked back at him. He must have seen something because he took a step towards me. I reluctantly took a step back. "Please, no." I didn't stammer.

"Darling-"

"Stop with the darling! " The tears started to flow down my cheeks. "Did you kill Zack?" I feel my cheeks fluster and my heart start to beat fast.

"You know-"

"I don't know! I hardly know anything about you! I'm not even sure you told the truth about your parents!" I start to push to the living room, but Hannibal grabbed my arm and spun me around.

I start to pull away, but he tightened his grip to the point where it hurt. I stopped, then slowly started to fall my knees. He followed, loosening grip and pulled me towards him, my hand and head laying on his chest. I sniffled and cried for what seemed like hours. We sat there in the form like months before. He stroked my hair, and had his other arm around my waist.

It seemed like this was a regular thing. I was starting to get emotionally drained at this point. I was starting to feel like someone who was too dependent on others and it felt horrible. I didn't like the feeling one bit.

After a while, the two of us were scooted against the fridge, Hannibal's arms still around me, my head on his shoulder. My eyes were red and puffy, my nose snotty. I rub a hand under my nose before saying, "Tell me you didn't kill Zack."

He was silent at first, probably pondering how to answer before simply saying, "I did not kill Zack."

A silence fell over us. "Tell me everything's gonna be alright." I squeaked.

"Everything's going to be alright."