Chapter 3: Bonding

Weeks passed as if it were only yesterday when you met Farlan and Levi.

Here you were working your ass off on making the house look clean. You wiped the windows, dusted the furniture, made all the beds, swept the floor, and here you are now scrubbing it. Your hands were blistered, your muscles ached from your arms to your legs. Sweat was starting to slowly drip from your forehead. You stopped as you just finished cleaning the last spot on the floor, sitting up and stretching your back. You let out a long groan as you stood up.

"Okay, I only have two hours left. I think I should do the maneuver gear and clean the blades". You walked to the floor board and lifted the door walking down the steps to the basement. The supplies that was down there was food in small crates, small packages of tea and medicine, and four sets of maneuver gear. You remembered when Farlan told you how he and Levi stole them after some Recon Soldiers were getting mobbed.

You carefully took the blades out one by one and took a rag, cleaning them with wax.

Your heart beat lightened up as you cleaned the blades. You wanted to learn how to use them like the guys. But, you're too frail. You're only 18. A teenager.

Sure Farlan was 19, and Levi is 20. But you knew maybe if you were older they would teach you.

You placed the last blade you cleaned down, seeing your reflection in the metal.

Weak child. Said your inner demons.

You sighed as you remember your parents words, you couldn't even hear the door open and the footsteps. Standing up dusting your (f/c) skirt, walked up the steps to be met with those steel grey eyes.

"L-Levi!.. Farlan. You're back"!

Farlan smiled a little as he closed the basement door after you walked out.

"You really cleaned (Y/n). You must have Levi's OCD", He joked.

".. His what"?

Levi groaned as he leaned on the table.
"Farlan means I have a cleaning disorder.". Levi even rubbed his finger on the table seeing the little specks of dust, tsking to it.

"Oh, you're one of those...", you rubbed your arm like you were nervous.

"Those"? He questioned.

You pulled up the chair next to Levi and took a seat. "My grandmother was very graceful as a child, and she lived in the capital. But when she married my grandfather they moved to Wall Maria. Well, her gracefulness was like a cleaning disorder, I mean she wouldn't let me eat soup unless I placed napkins under the bowl. She hated dirt so much our shoes had to be left outside in a wooden box".

Farlan smiled as you told your stories.
".. Um.. I'm sorry I brou-".
"Hey it's okay (Y/n). You talk about your grandparents a lot".

"Yeah...". You felt your heart start to hurt. You slowly stood up and pushed the chair in. "I.. Think I'm gonna finish this piece for my violin. Could you make dinner Farlan? I'll help clean the vegetables". As he nodded you walked to your bedroom. Those steel grey eyes following you.

Sitting on your bed you carefully hold your violin, the stick at your side as you look at the beautiful wooden instrument.

For a strange reason, you didn't feel like playing.

That was a first.
Before Farlan and Levi, you would always bring your instrument out while your parents slept. And when they were away on a walk or to the market, you would softly play it.

It was hard though because you had to check and see if they were coming home.

You put it back in its case as you placed it by you bed. Standing up, you walked back to the kitchen and saw Farlan starting to get ready to cook.

Smiling, a little, you walked over and started to help. You grabbed a carrot and started cutting it.

"You sure know your way in a kitchen, (Y/n)", Farlan spoke.

"Well, you know mothers. Always want their daughters to be like them and then they grow up to be beautiful woman and get married and have kids and oh, what a fairy tale", you said sarcastically.

"Ah, don't be like that. I'm sure you'll have something like that".

You sighed, stopping what you were doing. "No.. I won't".

Farlan looked at you. "All my life I was only treated to where life wasn't fair. Sure, I've been outside, but it's been 10 years. I don't even remember what the stars look like anymore". You took a deep breath as you placed the knife down.
"Honestly, I'd rather be in the Recon Corps than someone's petty housewife. What's the point of having a husband if you're not happy".

Farlan stared at you as you said that. You heard footsteps as you saw Levi walk in, glaring his eyes at you.

"You know that's pathetic", he said.

"H-huh"?

Levi walked forward. Making you press your back against the counter.

"You really think the Recon wants little scrawny girls like you? You can't even fight, what are you gonna use as a weapon? Your kindness? You'd be monster food the first day".

You stared at Levi as he spoke negative to you. Even when you were hurt, you gripped your fist and walked up into his space.

"Then I'll learn. Cuts and bruises I'll take and they won't stop me from getting stronger".
"You say that now..".

You wondered what he meant as you saw his fist go up and try to hit you. Realizing it faster, you dodged and ducked, rolling to behind him and getting up as you stood up, only to be put back down when his other hand collided into your stomach. You held your stomach as you gasped and coughed.

"Be quicker. And don't let your guard down". You flared up at him after he had did that, but soon he picked you up by your shirt as he looked at you.

"If you want to use the maneuver gear with us, you gotta learn to fight".

You stared at him as he let you go.

"Wha..".

You heard Farlan chuckle as you looked.
"What's so funny"?

"You surprise me more (Y/n)".

You blushed a little as you ran your hand through your hair, feeling a little embarrassed.

"Levi will teach you combat tomorrow. Sure enough, you'll be ready to do what we do down in the undergrounds".

You smiled as you pumped your fist, filled your heart with determination.

"I won't let you both down. I'll be strong for your loyalties"!