Wednesday February 17th

Ashlyn and I got up at 6 so we could pack before breakfast. We both finished by 7 and headed down to eat. We ate and talked until we had to load the bus. We brought out bags down and loaded up. Well got a seat to ourselves thankfully and settled in. Ryan sat with me so we could watch Monster Inc. After the movie we both took a nap. Hope woke us up and we got off. We had the same roommates so Ashlyn and I put our bags in our room. I talked Hope into getting coffee before our interviews since it was right next to the hotel. We came back and started our interviews with ESPN.

Alice: I am Alice Kipper and I am here with 17-year-old Savannah Solo Aka Baby Horse.
Me: thank you it's good to be here.
Alice: So let's start with your younger years. We've heard you were a multi-sport athlete all your life?
Me: yes, I am. Currently it's just soccer and cheer but I've played just about every sport there is.
Alice: so when did you decide you wanted to pursue soccer?
Me: probably around 12. I was getting too busy. Since my mom travels for her job and my dad is based all over the world I had my own driver but there just wasn't enough time in the day for me to do everything. I would go from cheer to volleyball to soccer and then to dance. By the time I got home around 10 I still had homework and to eat and shower. My parents told me I had to choose so that's when I dedicated myself to just cheer and soccer.

Alice: wow so what do your parents do?
Me: my mom is an international hospital consultant and my dad is a 4-star general for the Marines.
Alice: wow so how was growing up for you?
Me: to me it was normal. Me and my sister had a nanny, a chef, and a driver and that's just how it always was for us. When my parents were home they came to everything they could and they always support us no matter what we chose.

Alice: so away form that you are still new on the team. How were the nerves playing at this level?
Me: the nerves are still there but they aren't nearly as big as they used to be. Alex Morgan has definitely been a big part in helping me time runs and playing at this pace of the game.
Alice: when Alex came onto the team she had Abby to show her the ropes is it the same with you and Alex?
Me: yes, I would like to think so. Of course it is the older girl's jobs to help us adjust but Alex had definitely taken me under her wing.
Alice: You could very well become the next face of the US women's national team does that freak you out any?
Me: I don't see that happening, I mean I hope it could happen and that I do well but I try to stay in the now. One week, one day, one game at a time. I easily get overwhelmed if I don't.

Alice: according to reports you are a pretty competitive person even when it comes to board games is that true?
Me: yes, I definitely am. When my parents were home we would have family game night and my time my dad beat me he would taunt me until I beat him again. I think that's where I got my competitive edge from.

Alice: you are still in high school, how do you keep up and stay caught up with school work?
Me: staying caught up hasn't happened yet but is definitely a challenge to catch up. I am the only one currently on the team that has to do school work. But before I leave on trips I try to get most of my work so I can do it on my free time. I also have my friends send me the notes we took in class or assignments that I missed. Also my teachers have set up that I can take most of my tests online so that makes it easier.

Alice: so your high school cheer and soccer is still going on correct?
Me: yes, for soccer we actually have the semifinal the same day the national team has ours. If my high school team wins that game, then we got the final on Saturday the 27th. For cheer if the basketball team continues through playoffs then I will be back for those finals as well.

Alice: wow so last question, what is the story behind your dog Duke. We see him all over social media.
Me: he was a present from my boyfriend Brad. Duke is service dog and also our team mascot for the high school soccer team. He is just like having another best friend.
Alice: well thank you so much for taking time out of your day to talk to me. Good luck in your games.
Me: of course and thank you.

I got up and headed to the lobby. Alex, Hope and Carli were waiting for me.

Alex: dang you took forever
Me: yeah I know. It wasn't bad but they barely asked me anything about soccer.
Alex: same with me
Carli: yeah that's because they ask Hope and I about the games. They want to know everything and anything about the twins.
Me: I need ice cream
Hope: you can get some after training now let's get moving.

We were the last 4 on the bus. We got to the field and put on our cleats and did warm ups. We worked on the defensive shape and then scrimmaged before training ended. Back at the hotel we had dinner and then our group went to get ice cream. We came back and showered before going to bed.