Chapter 4

Jade Chapter 4, a romance fiction |

"Jade, you promised!" Joyce said to her sister.

Jade acted indifferent and kept flipping through the latest edition of People magazine on her bed, trying not to laugh at her sister's expression. "Sorry, Hun, I'm grounded."

"Since when has that ever stopped you?" Joyce demanded, making Jade raise an eyebrow. She was right. Being grounded for Jade didn't mean anything. She would still go out as she pleased even if sneaking out was an option. She just wanted to give her sister a hard time. Besides, she had never broken any of her promises to Joyce and she wasn't planning on starting soon.

Jade shrugged, still playing the role. "Well, take it up to mom."

"She already said yes! She knows you promised!" Joyce pleaded. "Come on, please! I wanna shop and eat some panda express!"

Jade couldn't help it anymore. She started to laugh her how whiny her sister's voice sounded.

"It's not funny!"

Those words only made her laugh more, wiping tears out of the corner of her eyes. "But it is little sis, and you know I'm just messing with you." she said, messing up Joyce's hair and who swatted her hand away.

"Can we go now?" She asked impatiently.

"Oh fine, give me 10 minutes to get dressed."

"Yes!" Joyce grinned and rushed to put her shoes and jacket on.

Two hours later the two sisters were inside the mall at the food court enjoying their plates of orange chicken and low mein noodle, with shopping bags splattered around them. A satisfied smile was on Joyce's face and that was enough to please her, despite everything else going on in her life.

"I think I should start play basketball." Joyce announced all of a sudden.

Jade raised an eyebrow, staring at her little sister. "What made you decide that?"

"Well, this guy at school, Jackson Barrington, said girls can't play as good as boys and I don't think that's true and I wanna prove it. I can be just as good as a boy, if not better."

Jade's lips lined up in a smile, proud to hear those words come out of her sister's mouth. "You sure can, but just as long as you do it for you, not for some fifth grade boy who you think is cute."

"I don't think he's cute!" Joyce quickly protested. Too quickly.

Jade laughed. "Sure."

"I don't!"

"So why are you blushing?"

Joyce stopped eating and pouted.

"Ok, fine, he's not cute." Jade agreed with her.

Joyce then smiled and continued to eat.

Jade shook her head but laughed anyway. Her sister definitely had a crush on whoever Jackson Barrington was, her first crush. It made Jade realize just how much her little sister was growing up. Soon she was going to be starting Junior High. Jade vowed to keep their close relationship no matter what. It mattered a lot to her and she wanted her little sister to be able to talk to her about anything. Soon, she would start going through puberty and Jade knew that's when Joy would need her the most, especially since their mother wasn't much help to her when she was growing up. Mrs. Rushmore was the second mom who talked to her and Jasmine about those changes their bodies were going through.

"What's going on with you, Jade?" Joyce suddenly asked after a moment of silence catching her sister by surprise. "You haven't really been...you, this week."