-28-

"Hey mom whatcha up to?" I said as I stepped into the girls bedroom where she sat, grabbing handfuls of clothes off of Ashley's closet floor. "Cleaning Ashley's closet while she's at her friend's house. God knows that girl won't throw anything away." she said seemingly frustrated by my sisters clutter. As she began to check sizes and make a trash pile and a keep pile I started to work my magic.

     "Oh my goodness. Well hopefully it helped that I cleaned my room, the bathroom, and shoveled the walkway." I said confidently, moving from my place against the door frame and onto Ashley's bed. "It does, thank you Joshua. I hope your brother and sisters will come home and follow your lead." she said lovingly, stopping what she was doing so that she could look up at me. Silence fell over us after that and I saw that as my opening to ask. "So Ma, do I have to go to the watch the ball drop at nan's?" I asked with pleading eyes. "Well that's where your father and I are going. I would like you to come if you don't have other plans." she responded, only partially focused on me as continued to sort through the clothes.

     "As fun as that would be Rian is having some people over and-" I started before my mothers head shot up and her voice was interrupting. "Oh god Joshua. You don't need to go to that. You're all just gonna drink. One of these years your dad's gonna catch you drunk and I'm not responsible for how badly he flips out." she says frustratedly, completely abandoning the clothes to argue with me. Although it looked hopeless at this point it always did. I knew I could change her mind. "Mom please. The whole football team is going I don't want to miss out." I whine towards the women in a desperate attempt to get my way.

     "I know but ugh fine. You better not come home drunk or hungover. Just stay at Rian's until your good. Understand?" She wanted sternly. I smiled at the women, satisfied that things went in my favor. After, I gave her a quick hug and a thank you, I rushed up to my room to confirm with my ride that I was allowed to go.

The rest of the day went by pretty routinely. I practiced for a little while. Then Ash came out back and threw the ball around with me for an hour. That was before she had to get dressed up to go to the family New Year's Eve party. All my younger sibling gripped and groaned because they had to go and I didn't. However, my mom calmed the riot and got everybody into the car and left. Once they were gone I decided to take a shower and start to get myself ready.

As I applied deodorant and threw a shirt over my head I got a call from my quarterback, Taylor. "Hey man I'm out front. Come on we're running late." He said urgently, hanging up the phone immediately afterwards. I gathered all the things I would need before I exited the front door, leaving it locked behind me.

"What's up Taylor?" I spoke excitedly as I climbed into the passenger seat. "What's up Dun? I haven't seen you all break! How you been?" he said matching my excitement, as he pulled off onto the road. I really liked Taylor. We applied to colleges and did visits together during the summer and into the beginning of the school year. If we ended up at the same college we agreed to try and room together. It would be easier to have a roommate who was on the same schedule as me with football.

     "Great I've done a lot of practicing" I informed as we drove through the dark twisted roads, towards the city. "Same! I can't wait to get back out there" he laughed lightheartedly with his attention completely occupied by the road. We continued to chat and gossip for the remainder of the thirty minute drive. I know boys don't use the word gossip but I didn't know what else to call it because honestly, that's what it was.

     However, as he spoke, I couldn't help but think about the fact that this is how people will be talking about Tyler and I once we reveal ourselves as a couple. I entertained our conversation as well as I could with the worry spreading its way through my body. Next time he wouldn't be talking about slutty Sarah he would be talking about us. I could only hope he would say nicer things about me than he did about Sarah.