Chapter 1

Hannah's POV

Today, I helped Rick and Carl with the gardening. And that's all. I'm 14 years old, yet I'm not allowed to do anything. Even Carl gets to do more.

I put my pen down, not knowing what else to write. I flopped onto my back and stared at the bottom of the top bunk.

"Hey Hannah." Glenn walked into my cell, smiling.

"Hi." I smiled back.

Glenn had found me back in Atlanta, hiding in a store bathroom. My family had all left me back in Atlanta. I couldn't blame them. They thought I was dead. I almost was. I tried catching up with them but I was too far behind. I saw both my mother and father with knife wounds in their heads and walker bites in their flesh, next to a car. I didn't see my fraternal twin sister. I was hoping she was alive still.

"Wanna come to dinner with me?" He asked.

I nodded, having nothing better to do. Glenn and I made our way out to the tables, sending a few friendly smiles to some people.

"Han!" I turned to see Carl jogging over.

"Hey!"

Carl and I were best friends. We had been together since Atlanta so of course we had grown closer. Carl was extremely over protective, so he never let me out of his sight unless I was going to my cell. Even then, he would come with me every so often. Rick had become the father I didn't have. Glenn had been like an older brother. He cared for me. No one trusted me much in the beginning but he did. Everyone else would either glare at me, or walk away when I came over. I don't know why they never trusted me.

"Have you just been in your cell?" He asked, a little breathless.

"Yeah. Seeing as you don't let me outta your site." I smirked.

"In my defence, it would be my fault if something happened to you!" He looked at his feet.

"One, you know that's not true. Unless you literally kill me or push me into the walkers or something. And two, nothing is going to happen to me. I'm right here." I smiled at how adorable he was.

"Okay Grimes family, I'll leave you two be." Glenn smirked at us, a joking look in his eye.

Everyone always teased Carl and I about that. They said we would be an adorable couple. Of course they were always joking, but I liked the idea of that to be honest. I'm not gonna say that I liked him, but he was fairly attractive, kind, brave, and caring. Okay so it wouldn't have been the worst thing if he liked me(back), but in this world I didn't have time for boys.

I looked at the ground and noticed a big spider creeping around my foot. I screamed, jumping back into Carl's chest.

"What?! Hannah what the hell is wrong?!" Carl asked.

"Spider." I said, a little embarrassed about my freak out.

"Oh my god Han. You scared me!" He laughed.

"Sorry! I really, really, really hate spiders."

Carl walked over, squashing the spider with his shoe.

"You are so adorable when you are scared of nothing." He laughed.

I forgot to mention that Carl and I were very flirty friends. We said these things to each other all the time, just being friends. Of course, like I stated above, it always made me happy or blush or both.

***

We heard a sharp whistle, Rick signalling to his son that he needed him for the gate. Carl nodded, a smile on his face. He winked at me before running over to the ropes. I leaned against the cement wall, watching.