A Helping Hand

"Steve! Answer me! What's going on?" You press the phone to your ear to hear his answer.

   Steve sounds old and weary "Natasha was wounded. Knife to the stomach. We haven't heard from anyone at the hospital, yet."

   You cover your mouth, but a sob escapes your fingers.

   "S-Steve" you whisper "Don't move! I'm coming over."

   "Okay, doll! See you in a bit"

-

   You can't keep yourself from running through the hospital halls.

   The whole team is camped out in the waiting room. Wanda is wrapped in a blanket while Sam comforts her. Tony sprawls across three chairs, his face covered. Clint hasn't bothered to change out of his uniform, which is still covered in Natasha's blood. Steve is the first to greet you, followed by Bucky. Of the others only Wanda acknowledges your presence.

   The three of you walk into the hall out of sight of the others.

   "It would help if you could talk to Clint" Bucky says under his breath "He hasn't moved since we got here."

   "I don't know how good an idea that is, but i'll try" you glance at Steve who grips your waist tightly.

   "I think this business of sneaking around should end. If everyone knows about us, they know, but the team needs a morale boost right now" Steve says, quietly.

   "Agreed" you say "What happened?"

   "Natasha ran into an old friend" Bucky growls "Yelena Belova. Little witch left her a going away present."

   "Who was with her, Natasha, I mean? Don't you guys split into teams?"

   "Natasha doesn't need a babysitter, and she usually makes that pretty clear."

   You shrug, surprised that you're not more angry or scared or emotional about this.

   Natasha is one of your closest friends and there is a possibility she won't make it.

   "What about the team?" You ask Steve, who seems seriously out of it.

   "Mhmm?" He shakes his head "I'm sorry, doll."

   "I'm getting you guys some coffee" you groan "We can finish this later."

   A bleary eyed Bucky stands from his place on the wall and joins you.

   "Want some company?" He asks "I need to get out of here."

   "Sure, you can carry the coffee."

   Steve leans down and kisses you "I'll stay here, doll. Hold down the fort and stuff."

   "That's fine" you squeeze his hand "See if you can get Clint some clean clothes"

-

   Courtesy of Agent Coulson's connections, the team is given a wing of the hospital to crash in until Natasha gets out of surgery.

   No one says much when you and Bucky return with coffee and a couple pies.

  Even Tony is silent when he takes his coffee and crawls back onto the couch.

   You take initiative and cut up the pies, sending Buck as your errand boy to deliver them to the Avengers.

   Clint, who looks slightly more alive since he cleaned up, settles himself in the corner couch away from the others, his face still contorted in worry.

   "Pie?" You sit next to him and place the warm food on his lap.

   He glances over "Hey, Y/N! Look, I'm really sorry about that thing-"

  You shake your head and laugh quietly "Don't worry about it. Steve and I-"

  "You set us up" Clint finishes "I know. Does this mean you and Steve-"

   "Yes, we're dating, Clint" you offer a small smile in Steve's direction.

   "I knew it" was Clint's reply "I may not have known you as long a Nat, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to get you two together."

   "How many people were in on this?" You demand.

   Clint snorts "Like the whole team. You have no idea how happy you make him."

   "That's really sweet, Clint"

   "It's true" he shrugs.

   "What about you and Nat?" You inquire.

   "Assuming she makes it out of this, I'm gonna tell her how I feel." Clint pinches the bridge of his nose.

   "She'll be alright" You squeeze his hand "She's a survivor and you know that."

   Clint gives a small chuckle.

   "Now eat your pie" you push the plate at him "You need it."