prologue

Boston, Massachusetts

Wednesday 27th June 8.35am

"How long has it been?" I asked, my wrist draped over the steering wheel.

Nelly shrugged, chewing on her pen.

"He's probably, you know," Gid muttered from the back seat, shrugging his shoulders.

"High?" I replied, looking at his reflection in the mirror.

"Norah stayed over so..." Gid awkwardly mumbled as he sunk into the back seat, letting the thick black rimmed glasses slide down his nose.

"Don't know, don't care." Nelly replied as she started tapping her pen against her wad of refill.

I leaned back into the driver's seat, I didn't really wanna be late to school again because my two friends were fooling around.

"Alex is in there, so they should be here soon."

"Yeah right." Nelly sniggered, probably jotting down last night's homework.

"Text him." I suggested.

"The front door is ten feet away Klaus." Nelly looked up, shunned at my words.

"You could just get up and go and knock on the door. It's not that far."

Nelly's sudden outburst almost frightened me. Almost.

But then I realised that she aspired to become a lawyer, and one of her annoying habits were picking an argument out of things I said, especially thing that Gideon said.

"Well I-"

"No, you're just-"

"How 'bout I go! Okay?" Gid yelled, stopping our pointless argument.

"And you'd think they were a married couple." He muttered as he slammed the door leaving us in silence.

"It was just a suggestion Nelly." I mumbled to break the lack of noise.

"Well it was a stupid one." She remarked, still scribbling on what started to look like a love letter, rather than last night's homework.

"Whatcha writin'?" I questioned, leaning in to get a closer look only to be pushed back by a swatting hand.

"Nothing of your concern." Nelly snapped, accidentally hitting my face.

"Ouch!" I rubbed the bridge of my nose, sinking back into my seat once more.

We sat in silence once again, waiting for our friends.

It was silent. Too silent.

"It's for um, Gid." She coughed, awkwardly.

"What is it? His homework?" I muttered, not really paying attention to the conversation.

"Nope." Was the last hint she dropped, but I didn't click.

Before I could ask, the door of my pick-up truck opened, as the rest of our friends piled into the car.

"Hey!" Gid muttered, as Alex pushed Gid into the middle seat, cramped against Norah and Morgan who couldn't seem to keep their mouths off of each others.

"Let's go." Gid squirmed.

I looked at him through the back mirror and gave him a sympathetic glance. He pushed his glasses up his nose.

My gaze suddenly wandered over to Morgan and the back of Norah's head.

My fingers gripped onto the steering wheel rather tightly as I stared.