Chapter 1

1

When I woke up, I was laying on a leather couch. My eyes had to adjust to the light. My automatic reaction was to groan and throw my hands up, a feeble attempt to shield my eyes from the light. My eyes finally adjusted, and I looked over as I heard the muffled sound of footsteps coming toward me. A man, maybe in his early 20s, stepped into the doorway.

He smiled, staring at me. His skin was pale and seemingly flawless. His hair was the color of the night sky, reaching his shoulders where it curled just a bit. His eyes were two different colors, one a strange red, the other a cat’s eye yellow. He wore a dark red button-up shirt with a pair of black pants. “You’re awake; how excellent.” His voice sounded like a melodic tenor; it was strangely beautiful.

I bolted upright and looked around. The room looked like an odd mix of old and new, with a chandelier, fireplace, and coffee table that looked fairly old to alternate with a large TV and contemporary art pieces. It was strange and definitely not my house. I got up and bolted for the closest door. It wasn’t open anymore by the time I reached it. A different guy stood in this doorway, looking to be roughly the same age as the other. He had choppy brown hair and hazel eyes. He looked lanky but muscular with his lightly tanned skin; his frame draped over the doorway. He wore a tight navy blue tee that just slightly showed his apparent abs (and his fairly nice biceps) and a pair of jeans. His feet were bare.

“Evening, miss.” His voice was a pitch lower than the raven-haired guy’s, containing a light Australian accent.

I backed up as he started walking forward before another filed in. This guy’s hair was short and choppy in the back with one long strip in the front, a deep purple that couldn’t have been natural. His eyes were a deep chocolate, almost black. His skin was also pale, but he had a small mole just below his right eye. I could see that one ear was pierced all the way up with bands of varying colors, a stud at the bottom. He smiled, showing a set of pearly white teeth, two of which appeared to be insanely sharp. He wore an unbuttoned black shirt with a pair of dark skinny jeans. He wore Converse, too. He looked to be about the same age as the other two. “Hello.” His voice was a sweet honey-like tenor, holding a gentle Russian accent.

Behind me, someone turned me around to face them. It was yet another guy. This one had pin-straight, long platinum blonde hair and ice blue eyes. His skin was a very light tan. He wore a silver necklace with a pentagram pendant. He had on a white t-shirt and light blue jeans, a pair of tennis shoes covering his feet. “It’s excellent to see you awake.” His voice was a slightly high tenor, fairly beautiful in its own right.

The four guys piled into the room, backing me to the couch where I had been to begin with. They were all smiling at me, except for the brunette. I looked at the four of them and glared, upset and fairly frightful. I yelled, “Who are you guys, and what am I doing here?!”

Mr. Raven-hair spoke first, still smiling despite my intense glare. “I’ll answer your second question first. Welcome to our humble abode, Miss Ashlyn. You are here to serve us, essentially as our maid, forever.”

I squirmed uncomfortably on the plush couch. “Forever?” I growled. “My parents will come to look for me! You guys will be put in jail for this!”

The raven-haired male kept smiling at me. “Nonsense, Miss Ashlyn. I’m afraid your parents won’t be coming to look for you, nor will we be jailed. You see, your parents approached us a few days ago while they were very low on money. Do you know what they did? They begged and pleaded that they needed money. They were so desperate to get money that they sold your soul to us to serve us. In return, from our wealth, we gave them a large sum of money. I’m sure they’re very happy with their money.”