Chapter Eight

( Catherine's picture on top)

Sunlight ran down my face in streaks of heated glares, sweat was streaming down our backs as we cranked up the air conditioner to full blast.

" Ok, Lexi. Remember what I told you?" Kyle asked, turning his head slightly to me before putting his eyes back on the road.

" If I'm sick, I call you. If there's trouble, I call you. If a boy talks or even looks at me inappropriately, I call you."

" That's my girl." He said, smiling in satisfaction, his large hand pulling me to him before placing a kiss on the crown of my head.

I rolled my eyes, smiling to myself as we pulled up to our school.

" Lexi, it's your first day back. Remember, don't strain yourself alright? I still have no fucking clue why you don't want to stay home. I don't trust the hormonal teen boys in this school." Roman said, a scowl marring his face as he glared at a passing group of boys, their laughter echoing throughout the entire school.

" Guys, relax. I'm going to be fine. "

" They're going to try to taint you, Lexi. I can't let them touch our precious babygirl." Jace said, his voice lowering down to a deadly serious tone.

" Be safe, alright?" Kyle said as he enclosed me in a tight embrace, squeezing me slightly.

" Guys, I'm just going to school. This isn't war." I said, my voice slightly muffled as my cheek was pressed up against Kyle's chest.

" It's basically the same thing." Roman said, looking at me pointedly.

" Alright, whatever. Can we just go? We're going to be late." I said, my voice exasperated as I grew tired of their excessive concern.

" Ok, let's go." Kyle said, releasing me from the tight coiling of his arms. As we walked through the double doors, my brothers flanked my left and right, with me shrinking behind Kyle's broad back.

" Did you plan this formation?" I asked meekly, my cheeks flaring in embarrassment as we became the origin of attention.

" We needed to make a statement." Jace said, shrugging his shoulders as if it wasn't bothering him in the slightest. Ever since I had gotten sick, my brothers have upgraded themselves from loving brothers to overprotective bodyguards.

" And what statement is that?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in skepticism.

" Don't fucking touch our sister."

--

Walking into the classroom, i breathed out a sigh of relief. My eyes ran across the room, searching for an empty seat before locking with a pair of cobalt blue eyes, drawing me into them. Like the waves of the ocean that crashed against one another, the swirls and shades of blue intertwined with kaleidoscopic green.

I walked towards the empty seat next to the boy in the tight black t-shirt, his arms folded across one another as his eyes impassively looked back to the whiteboard.

I can't believe I'm sitting next to him, again. I bit my lip in nervousness, his mere presence caused my heart to palpitate in my chest. His slicked back hair was flawlessly soft, short tendrils of black fell on his forehead, rebellious.

The teacher droned on, her voice repeatedly going through the word " infectious" and " immune" .

" Ok, class. Today, I want all of you to team up with your seat partner. You are all required to make a short presentation on different infectious diseases. "  The teacher, a short woman with a brunette bob, said. " You will have 2 weeks to work on this. So I expect high quality, well presented and summarized slides. Do you all understand?"