"True," she said warily, "but you're with me now. And I want you to be safe all the time."

Joanna looked away again, her face turning blank once again.

"I'll still come here." Joanna said finally.

"With my consent, yes." Martha said and saw Joanna quirked one brow up without looking up. "And of coarse without skipping school. I checked! They have night sessions."

Joanna was silent but Martha could feel the satisfaction the girl felt at her acceptance. So Martha pushed further, "And one more condition." She said and Joanna rolled her eyes up to look at her questionably.

Martha took a breath, "Tell me why?"

Joanna was silent for a moment as she waited for more before she said, "Why what?"

"Why do you want to come here?" Martha clarified.

Joanna raised both brows, "because I want to get stronger."

Martha's own brows shot up. She could understand why the girl wanted that. But it made her feel bad that she wasn't feeling secure with her.

"But you are safe. You are safe with us." Martha said softly, aching to reach a hand and stroke the girls face but holding herself from it, knowing Joanna would probably push her away. "You don't need to feel the need to be strong. We can be your strength."

Joanna looked up then away, "I just want to be strong." She said again in a clipped tone, but Martha pushed further. "Why?" she asked again.

"It's none of your..." Joanna exclaimed but stopped before she went any further, wiping her face in frustration. She turned around and started walking away. Martha followed her quickly. "I think I know why!" She called behind her but Joanna didn't stop. "You want to be strong because you want to be able to protect those whom you love."

Joanna stopped suddenly, causing Martha to almost bump into her small back. "I am right, right?" she said, she knew she pushed too far, what with the girl loosing her father without being able to stop her mother when she was too close. She must've felt helpless then.

And if she wanted to be stronger to protect those who she loves.........

Joanna turned her head back and locked her eyes to Martha's in an intense long stare that told her more than she hoped to hear. A wide smile crept on Martha's face as she saw the answer on the young girls face before Joanna turned around and started walking again.

.........Then she does believe that she still has people to love around her.

Martha thought gleefully as she followed the little troubled girl. She'll always protect her, she thought.

*********

9 years later

BUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

The prison great gate opened and Hank cursed the annoying sound for the last time.

Yes, it was his release day. Freedom at last.

He was wearing the last thing he wore before he was admitted six years ago; a light blue jeans and a striped shirt white shirt. His jaw was covered with a very light beard. For some reason he thought he'd look stronger and more manly this way than he was before.

He needed to show her that.

Of coarse, His father didn't bother to come and pick him up, typical. And Hank didn't really care. Because he had friends who cared for him now, and she promised to come and get him herself.