Learning to Dance - Kaldur x Reader

Prompt: I realize you have a lot of requests already but, since you're taking characters other than batfam, can I ask for 125 "Let me teach you how to dance." With Kaldur'ahm please? Kaldur x Reader (requested by anon)

"Alright team you all know your positions. Disperse and act natural." Nightwing said authoritatively over the psychic link. He was off in a control room somewhere monitoring the ballroom while the rest of you were getting ready to position yourselves strategically around the party. Clear on the goal of the mission tonight you all filtered out into the crowd, scanning for any hint of trouble.

Act natural, Nightwing said. You couldn't help but to scoff at the thought. Hell half of the team wasn't even human! But yet you all seemed to manage to blend into the party pretty well, as well as a bunch of teenage vigilantes could anyway.

You gracefully weave your way through the crowd and make yourself appear to be like an average partygoer. Your eyes caught Kaldur hovering by the corner of the room by himself. Lord help him, he was trying to look conspicuous but he looked like he could use some help blending in. You grabbed an additional drink from a passing waiter and glided across the floor to the out of place Atlantean. Wordlessly you handed him the drink. He took it hesitantly but didn't drink from it.

"You should stay in your position" He thought.

"Yes well, our fearless leader also said to blend in. You're sticking out like a sore thumb, Kaldur. I thought I would be put to better use making sure you don't blow our cover." You thought lightly bumping your shoulder against him.

"Team we need eyes out on the dance floor." Nightwing chimed in.

"Aqualad and I are on it, chief." You responded and hooked your arm in Kaldur's to start leading him to the dance floor where couples were twirling and swaying to the soft music of the ensemble. You stopped when you felt Kaldur's hesitation.

"What's wrong?" You asked.

"I don't know how to dance, [Y/N]." He said in his signature serious tone.

"Then let me teach you how to dance, Kaldur. Please?" You pleaded giving him puppy dog eyes. He secretly melted under your gaze and allowed you to pull him the rest of the way onto the dance floor.

You led him through the crowd and stopped when you reached an opening in the floor. You took both of his hands in yours and moved to place on of his hands on the curve of your waist while still holding the other one.

"Like this?" He asked unsure as he clasped your hand and held it in position.

"Yes." You nodded draping your free hand over his shoulder now that his hands were in the correct position. "Now when I move, move with me. Imagine our bodies are connected and breaking the connection would be fatal for the both of us." You instructed.

"Are you ready?" You asked. He nodded curtly, staring intently at your feet. You prepped your step and slowly started to move and turn the two of you around the room. He awkwardly followed your steps and stumbled a few times but after a while he seemed to catch the hang of it.

All the while, your eyes searched for any sign of foul play. Eventually Kaldur's eyes rose from your moving feet to search the crowd as well. When neither of you found anything lurking in the crowd your gazes turned back to each other. You blushed under his intent gaze as he carefully studied your features.

"You look beautiful tonight, [Y/N]." He complimented as the two of you slowly twirled around the ballroom.

"Thank you." Your blush deepened. "You look very handsome yourself. I don't think I've ever seen you in a suit before." You commented looking him up and down. His tux really did suit him even if he looked like he would rather be wearing anything else.

"I am flattered but this clothing is very uncomfortable." He said reaching up briefly to try and separate the constricting cloth from his neck.

"Hopefully we won't be stuck mingling for much longer." You offered. The fear of danger seemed to be passing and all without even seeing any real action. You were sure Nightwing was going to call the mission off soon but oddly enough you didn't want it to end. You just wanted to stay in Kaldur's arms for the rest of the night, mission or not.

"I do not mind. I think I like dancing, especially if you are my partner." He confessed with a small smile playing at his lips.

"I have to admit, you are a quick learner." You said.

"I had a good teacher." He complimented.