It's All About The Money

CHAPTER ONE

            Charla was home late at night, again…for the third night in a row. Charla had talked to Brad about it and he knew that she should be home early, but with Rachel quitting now that she got an actual sustainable job and Jessica taking a sick leave, spots needed to be filled and shifts were extended. They had job openings, but no woman wanted to put stripper on a resume. It was usually a side job that is to be kept a secret, which was why Brad always paid the workers in cash so that it wouldn’t come up on their accounts and backgrounds.

            It was very late so when she walked into her apartment, Charla wasn’t surprised when she saw that all of the lights were off except for the night-lights in her kids’ room. She turned on the light in the short hallway. She took off her shoes and jacket before locking the door behind her. Charla ran a hand through her hair, relaxing slightly now that she was home. She walked into the smaller bedroom and looked inside. It was a sight that always put a smile on her face.

            Her two kids were sleeping soundly. The radio was still playing as a way to help the kids to sleep. Both of the kids had lava-lamps as nightlights to help them sleep as well. Even in the low light Charla could see the mess on the floor. She told them to clean up the mess before she left. What had they been doing all night then?

            By coming into the room, the observer would have been able to see the line between Allie’s part of the room and Conner’s part of the room. Though the walls were white and the floor was a dark brown hardwood, one part of the room held large boxes of building blocks, toy cars, and space toys while the other side of the room held dolls, stuffed ponies, and dress-up things that mostly held the colours pink or purple. However, Allie was starting to grow older and her interests were gearing toward lego and dinosaurs as well as her ponies and princess play. Even by the sheets that the mattresses had could tell the person who slept in what bed. Though both of the children slept on two mattresses stacked on each other, one mattress held a Toy Story comforter with black bed sheets while the other mattress had purple comforter with butterflies on it and the bed sheets were a bright pink.

            Charla sighed and looked over the two. She could tell that both were sound asleep. Although she didn’t want to risk waking them up, Charla walked as quietly as she could to them. She kneeled down before Conner’s bed first and she readjusted his blanket so that it was over his shoulder and up to his chin to keep him warm. She kissed his cheek. The blonde-haired boy didn’t even stir. Charla stroked his hair once and whispered goodnight to him before she got up and made a couple of steps to the other side of the room to Allie’s bed. Charla kissed her daughter’s forehead and the little girl stirred. Frowning, Charla told her, “I’m sorry that you awoke, baby-girl.”

            The little girl yawned lightly and sat up, opening her arms. Charla couldn’t help but smile and she wrapped her arms around Allie, kissing her cheek. Sleepily, the little mouse-haired girl asked her, “where have you been, mommy?”

            Charla sighed and answered her, “At work, baby. I’m sorry that I stayed so late again.”

            Like always, the little girl nodded in forgiveness and Charla felt her stomach sink. She didn’t deserve the forgiveness and it made her feel sick every time she got it.

            Leaning back a little, Charla kissed her cheek again and whispered, “I would have much rather stayed here, baby girl. I’ll get to see you tomorrow though. Right now I need you to go to sleep, alright. I’ll be here in the morning. I promise.”

            Tiredly, the little girl nodded and Charla smiled. She laid her daughter back on the bed and whispered to her, “that’s my girl.” Allie smiled and closed her big brown eyes as Charla brought her blanket up to her chin and kissed her one last time before leaving the room.