Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

            Walking around at night was always cold. Even in the summer. Charla wished that she would be able to wear jeans and a sweater, but she knew from experience that guys usually went for the hookers who wore short skirts that just covered  ‘the goods’ and shirts that weren’t exactly conservative. And to touch it off, she wore some heels that hurt her feet. But at least the brown knock-off leather jacket kept her a bit warm.

            It was pretty late, ten-thirty at night. There weren’t a lot of people out tonight, hence why she was not already at a person’s house trying to bring them to orgasm or wasn’t in a car or alleyway trying to blow a man. As much as she hated her job, she wished that she could find someone right now. They needed groceries for tomorrow. They had a completely empty fridge and cupboards now and she needed to give them something for breakfast in the morning and as of now she quite literally had nothing. Everything was so expensive. Even the knock-off cereals. There was nothing that she could get with the money that she had left and she wouldn’t let her kids not have breakfast because of her mistakes.

            There were so many times that she had thought about giving them up. They deserved so much better. They were smart kids who were empathetic and well-behaved. They didn’t deserve a dirty old apartment that was cold and a mother that couldn’t provide for them and couldn’t even live off of a pay-check by pay-check lifestyle. They deserved so much better than her.

            But she was a greedy person. That was a sin that she would easily admit.

            She was greedy because those were her kids. No one else’s. They were her son and daughter. She had them alone and she would raise them alone if that would be the case, but they didn’t belong to anyone else. There was no one that helped her in the hospital except for a couple of friends, but the only reason why she would give Conner and Allie to them would be because something had happened to her. They both were in the same life-crumbling situation like her…well, one of them was a bit worse than her. Either way, she knew that she was a terrible person not to give them to someone who could provide for them.

That was a sin she would accept and admit to anyone.

Walking around in the cold, she went to her normal stops. Perhaps she could get a regular customer that was looking for something tonight. Anything would do. She just needed a bit of money. She hated how desperate she was.

She tried not to shiver. It wouldn’t make herself look to appetizing. She walked around proudly in the sidewalk. There were a couple of men that looked at her when they went past her. Charla even thought that she saw someone think about calling her over to him, but it looked as though he thought again. He walked off and Charla lost her chance.

She was out for another ten minutes before she looked far down the road. She smiled lightly. Even though it was dark and the person was far away, she knew exactly who the person was. Charla walked a bit farther and called, “hey! Lynne!”

The brown haired woman looked up. She was sitting on the bench, smoking. Charla walked down the street, her heels clicking against the cement and echoing slightly down the street. Or at least, that was what it seemed like to her.

Once at the bench, Charla gave the woman a large smile and the woman gave one back. Charla sat down and the brunette told her, “It’s good to see you! I would have thought that with all the shifts Brad was making you do that you would be there tonight, if not with your kids.”

Charla shrugged, looking at her friend.

Lynne Cole was a couple of years older than Charla. She was a prostitute, just like Charla, but she was a bit more up on the scale of better living since all the money she made went to her directly. Plus, she had an actual job as a waitress so money was a bit easier on her. She had an apartment six blocks away from Charla. Lynne was actually the person who Charla had left in her will to care for her kids if anything was to happen to her and she was her kid’s godmother. Lynne was one of the two people who were at the hospital when Conner and Allie were born and helped Charla all throughout the birth. The two kids adored their ‘Aunt Lynne’. The brunette had always wanted kids of her own, but had decided that she couldn’t handle the responsibility, especially after watching Charla and her struggles.