Panic

"So you... you're a- and they're all... Is everybody-?"
Andy chuckled bitterly. "Yes, I am a partial vampire. Yes, they all are too. No, not everyone has that gene." He answered his anxious boyfriend, with little to no emotion in his voice.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I didn't know."
"Am I-?"
"No."
Ashley nodded and looked down at his hands.
There was a bit of silence until he spoke again.
"So... Do you like blood?"
"No. It's disgusting..."
"Are you nocturnal? Do you, like, turn into a bat, or something?"
"No, what kind of question is that?" Andy rolled his eyes.
Ashley shrugged.

"What about daytime? Can you be in the sunl-?"
Andy glared at him. "I'm a descendant of nasty ass vampires, not Edward Cullen." He hissed.
Ashley grimaced a little, and then there was more silence.

For a while, Ashley said nothing. Neither did Andy. They both looked away from one another, and the tension in the air grew even more so. Andy closed his eyes. Ashley's thoughts were so loud. They were so unbearably loud and Andy couldn't help but wonder what they were about, and he knew they were about him. They usually were...

"I know you decided not to propose to me." Andy finally whispered. Ashley's eyes widened, nearly bulging out of his skull. "Are we... breaking up, now?"
Ashley's jaw dropped. Of all the things he expected to hear from Andy, that was not one of them. Andy's eyes were a soft reddish glow, gentle and longing as they gazed upon Ashley, accompanied by an unintentional pout.

"Andy..." Ashley exhaled and closed his eyes. "No, that- that is not what I meant when I decided- Let me explain."
"It's because I'm a monster, isn't it." Andy mumbled. "You hate me, too, don't you."
Ashley ticked his jaw. "No, I-"
"Maybe you don't, but you sure don't think of me the same way. You keep staring at me like I'm an animal in a fucking zoo." Andy spat.

"Andy, just shut up!" Ashley snapped finally, causing Andy to flinch a little. He silenced himself and let Ashley finish talking. "I decided against proposing to you because I didn't want to do it in this shit hole. I had a plan and I want to stick to that plan, so, yes, I'm not going to propose to now, but that doesn't mean I'm never going to, and it sure as hell does not mean I'm breaking up with you."
It was Andy that was shocked, now. He sat there with a look of astonishment on his face, his mouth desperately attempting to utter the words that were stuck in his throat.
"Quit acting like everyone is against you, Andy. Seriously. I put you here because I wanted to help you, I am not the bad guy. I am not against you, but it seems like you're so against yourself that you've made yourself believe the whole damn world hates you. It is not all about you. I know you blame yourself for this mess, but how do you think I feel, huh!? You went out that night, but I let you. I let you go, and if I hadn't let you, then we wouldn't be in this mess. I blame myself just as much as you blame yourself, so just shut up for once, and maybe consider that there's more to this than just you." Ashley seethed.

Andy shuffled away, and then quickly made his way to the corner of the room, standing with his back to Ashley and his head down. He dug his nails into the sides of his arms, and bit down on his lip to suppress the whimpers that were pushing their way out. Neither of them made an effort to speak.

When Andy heard Ashley move, he was convinced that he was leaving. He was so sure that Ashley was just going to get up and walk out, possibly hating Andy for real, now. But instead Ashley's footsteps got closer, and suddenly Andy felt the warmth of another body pressed against him, and a pair of arms wrapping around him from behind.
"I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to yell." Ashley murmured into his hair. Andy was stunned. It had been so long; too long since he had felt the arms of his lover around him; since he had felt a gentle, loving touch of any kind... The emotions were all too much at this point, they overwhelmed Andy and he reacted by allowing his legs to give out. Ashley acted quickly and lowered him down to the floor so he didn't collapse, and took a seat behind him. "Sh... C'mere, Andy." He pulled the small, frail man into his lap and cradled him gently. "I'm here, it's okay."

Andy wailed helplessly, sobbing and his body shaking with each heaved cry. It was heartbreaking for the both of them.

Was this how they'd be forever? 

Silence, small talk, fighting, crying, and repeat? Was this their relationship? Or was this the process of healing...?

"I'm sorry, Ashes..." Andy whimpered, turning onto his side and putting his face into Ashley's arm.
Ashley exhaled shakily. He was trying so hard to keep himself composed. "It's okay, baby. It's all gonna be okay."

Before Andy could respond, there was a loud shriek from outside in the hallway. Ashley lifted his head to look, but Andy was already bolting for the door.
"Andy, wait-"
Andy threw the door open, immediately seized by the orderlies that stood guarding his door. He fought them off, running down the hall but was captured once again. "No- Let me go, I have to go see what's happening!" He protested.

Ashley came out of the room. "Get off of him!" He yelled at the orderly that was wrestling Andy to the wall.
"The patient is not allowed out of his room, sir. Step aside." The other sighed.
Ashley glared. "I said get off of him."

The new patient that had entered the ward stopped at the end of the hall, a wild look in her eyes.
"You! You're the one he wants!" She pointed a shaking finger at him.

Andy stopped fighting the man that had him pinned to the wall, eyes widening. "No.." He looked the other way and saw the wild patient gazing at him, her eyes a blood red. "No, that can't be."

Ashley frowned and looked at Andy. "What's wrong?" He asked carefully. Andy looked over his shoulder at Ashley, his expression panicked.
"That patient- She's in bad condition. Like, really bad."
"How so?"
"She's rabid. She's not blood-thirsty rabid, but the symptoms are there- Ashley, whatever it is awakening this vampire gene is getting stronger."
Ashley paled. "And?"
Andy looked back down the hall, watching the patient get wrestled back by the orderlies trying to escort her to her room. The ones that had been holding Andy let him go to go assist.

"I think- I think whoever is doing all of this is trying to wipe out the human race." Andy whispered, fear overtaking his mind as he looked back at Ashley.

"The dark prince! He wants the dark prince!" The woman shrieked as she was hauled around the corner and out of sight.

Ashley's eyes widened, as did Andy's. Andy quickly turned and rushed back into his room, going to the bed on the far wall.

Ashley followed and slowly shut the door behind him. "Andy... What's going on."
"Um. Besides the fact we're on the brink of a vampire apocalypse?" Andy grimaced, running a hand through his messy hair.
Ashley narrowed his eyes. "She called you the dark prince, what the hell does that mean?"

Andy pulled his legs up onto the bed.
"I'm a descendant of the original vampire blood-line."
"So?"
"It's considered the royal blood-line..." Andy exhaled shakily.
"How do you know all of this? I thought you didn't know anything about this-"
"I didn't." Andy stopped him short. "But- But I don't know... All of this... stuff about what's going on just- just feels like common knowledge to me. Maybe it has something to do with that vampire gene, or something, I don't know. I really don't. I wish I did... But I don't."

Ashley sat on the bed beside him and looked at his feet, quiet for a moment as he thought.

"So what now?" He looked up at Andy, who seemed just as confused, panicked, and scared.

"Well, they're sure not gonna let me go, so..." Andy looked over at him. "What do you say you help me break out of this shit-hole?"

A/N: i've developed a bad, bad habit of evolving story lines to the point they don't really line up well with the initial chapter, but it's okay because i feel good about this story so far