Chapter 6

Zayn was more than happy when he finally stepped into his flat, throwing his gloves to the ground so he could rub his hands together, creating much needed heat. His cheeks were burning from the cold even though he'd been wrapped up in a huge scarf, his eyes barely visible behind the thick wool.

He hated the cold more than anything in the world, and he simply couldn't afford to get sick at the moment. Liam had laughed at him when Zayn had added earmuffs over Mezi's hat, before pulling the boy's hood on and wrapping a long scarf around his tiny neck.

"He can't even move," Liam had laughed as he'd signed for Mezi to turn around. The boy had stumbled uneasily, barely able to turn on himself, even less to walk do to the amount of clothes Zayn had layered on him. Mumbling to himself, Zayn had proceeded to strip a few layers off of Mezi until the boy's movements were normal.

Then, they had all marched towards the park that was two streets down, tumbling in the fluffy snow as they went. Mezi had squealed in delight when Liam had rolled a gigantic ball for the base of their snow man, adding another smaller one to the top for the torso. Liam had then helped Mezi to roll a smaller ball for the head, the little boy's face etched in concentration as he added the finishing touched on the man snowman.

Unable to stop himself, Zayn had snapped a few pictures with his phone of Mezi making snow angels, Liam mimicking the boy with just as much enthusiasm. Zayn couldn't help but think how nice it would be if this was part of his daily routine, if he could enjoy Liam's presence and yet still play with his son, not having to choose either or. It was also nice to know that when Zayn's feet were frozen and he could barely move, Liam was glad to stay outside with Mezi who begged to stay out a little longer.

So Zayn had opted to head back to the flat to start on a late lunch, grilled cheese and tomato soup with some hot chocolate for dessert. The sandwiches were just about ready when Liam walked through the front door, a wildly animated Mezi sitting on his shoulders. The minute the boy's feet touched the ground he was rushing towards Zayn, boot clad feet dragging snow through the flat but Zayn couldn't bring himself to be angry, his little boy simply too happy to show him more pictures Liam had taken of the snow man.

"I think he's found a new hobby in taking pictures," called Liam from the doorway as he ruffled the snow out of his hair, the sting of the cold marking his cheeks with a beautiful red blush.

"That would come from his mom," mumbled Zayn uncomfortably as he flipped the grilled cheeses, helping Mezi into his seat before looking up at Liam. "She was the school photographer."

"You can talk about her," replied Liam as he stepped forth, pressing a gentle kiss to Zayn's lips before helping him set the table, the bowls of soup steaming with heat. "It might help and I don't mind it. Mezi should remember her."

Zayn knew Liam was right. Liam really had no reason to be jealous considering the lack of relationship Zayn and Sama had before Mezi was born and even then, things were so completely different with Liam, then they had been with Sama.

Everything between them seemed to occur as if it was meant to be, so smooth and effortless. Zayn only then realized he had in fact accepted Liam's kiss like it was a daily habit, something so simple and lovely that neither of them actually thought about. It was so easy to get lost in the distant reality Liam offered and yet Zayn had to remember the importance of his past. Sama had worked so hard for Mezrhad to know Zayn long before they had ever met, it was only normal that Zayn made sure their son remembered her long after she was gone.

"I'd love for him to learn photography," admitted Zayn, remembering how Sama's parents had offered him her old camera, but he'd rightfully declined, saying he really wasn't entitled to anything. "I can't really afford it right now though."