Chapter 4

"What are you looking at?" Niall asked as he passed next to Zayn, arms filled with the latest Wonder Woman, stopping to stare at Zayn's phone over his shoulder.

"None of your business," replied Zayn, pushing at Niall's shoulder making him topple over into a pile of abandoned posters and books.

Puffing a laugh, Niall dropped all the comics he'd been holding, watching Zayn with an amused smirk as he rubbed his elbow.

"You met someone," laughed the blond boy, not even trying to escape the pile of rubbish he'd fallen into, kicking at Zayn's shin in amusement.

"What are you going on about?," Zayn said as he glared down at Niall, offering his friend a hand up because he looked simply ridiculous sitting there as if nothing was wrong.

Accepting the hand, Niall heaved himself to his feet, brushing up his clothes before knocking Zayn's shoulder with his own. "You've got that stupid doppy look on your face, the one you get every time you suck a dick."

Zayn arched a brow in response, unimpressed with Niall's explanation. "You have no idea what I look like when I suck dick," he stated casually, bending over so he could start picking up the comics Niall had dropped. The store was a mess this week, the latest inventory coming to an end but Zayn, as manager, still tried to keep a semblance of order so the clients didn't feel like they were entering a complete dump.

"I didn't mean during," Niall said as he kneeled next to Zayn, slowly making a neat pile of comics next to himself. "I meant that look you get after you spend a night with someone and you end up liking that person for more than a quick fuck."

"I don't have a look," argued Zayn, checking his watch for the third time in the last minute.

"We're not dumb you know," started Niall, momentarily interrupted as Mezi's laugh echoed through the small store, a wind of the little boy rushing by as Louis ran after him excitedly.

Zayn traced his son's path with his eyes, chuckling until he turned back towards Niall who didn't look that amused.

"It's not because that guy picks you up at the end of the street, everyday for the past 2 weeks that Louis and I don't notice."

"It's not what you think," Zayn whispered as he looked away, busying himself with the daily deposit. "He's just a friend that offered me a ride so I could get Mezi home early enough to let him to play a little, to take a bath and what not."

Niall made a face at that, biting at his lip as if preventing himself from arguing. "There's nothing wrong with it Zayn, we just want you to be happy."

Shrugging Zayn closed the cash register, a heavy sigh falling from his tongue. "I am happy, I have a beautiful son and Liam's just a friend ok. I can't..can't bring someone else into my life right now. Mezi deserves my attention and I can't afford to give it to anyone else right now."

"Having someone in your life doesn't make you a bad father," Niall said simply, slipping his hand around Zayn's waist to hug him from behind. Zayn fell into the embrace easily, needing the reassurance his friend was offering. Even if nothing had happened with Liam since their kiss, Zayn couldn't deny the fact that there was an obvious attraction between them.

Liam had offered to take Mezi home after school with him to allow Zayn more time to get to work but Zayn had been unable to accept. He'd settle on accepting the man's rides home after work, grateful he could help his son bathe and read him a story before bed while Liam usually cooked something for them to eat after.

Liam had never initiated another kiss in all the time he'd spent in Zayn's flat, never even slept the night. He usually just helped Zayn with his chores, folding the laundry next to him as they watched countless movies. Sometimes they'd cuddle on the couch, but Zayn blamed the fact that it was winter and his heater was shit to compensate for Liam's strong arm around his shoulders. Overall, Liam had been a gentleman, aiding with Mezi exactly how Zayn needed and never asking for anything in return.