Chapter 2: Damn You, In-n-Out

Late Afternoon
Los Angeles, CA

"Alright everyone, it is sunny and about 88 degrees right now. Baggage claim is down the stairs and to the right. Thank you for flying American Airlines and I hope you enjoy your stay in Los Angeles."

You and I both Captain, you and I both.

I hopped off the plane and into the airport and immediately knew I was back in California. Cali gives you a vibe, a high of some sort, and I felt it in the air. To be honest, I truly loved it out here, but there were entirely too many painful memories. just like Atlanta and Miami. Those were two other places I had avoided like the plague, but had to travel to for work with OVO. I went to baggage claim, got my bags, and went to Enterprise to pick up my rental. Just as I was about to hand over my credit card to the associate, he said, "M'am, your rental has already been covered."

I gave him a face of bewilderment as I saw my receipt say $0.00 and paid for already by a Aubrey Graham.

Oh Drake. I swear I have the world's greatest boss. I sent him a "thank you, you shouldn't have" text because I know he was in his Calabasas studio working on his 7th studio album, Hitmaker. Not soon after walking to the beautiful Audi R6 rental did I get a reply from him.

Bossman 🙎🏻‍♂️: My pleasure Kenzie, don't thank me. You know I take care of mine, now all I need you to do is say yes....

On the outside looking in, that message could be taken several ways if I didn't know the context behind it. He's hellbent on me being the head of OVO on the West Coast, but I wasn't jumping into anything without researching. Hell, I don't even have a place to live yet.

Just then, I got another text from Drake.

Bossman 🙎🏻‍♂️: Room 1200, Penthouse Suite at the W, don't say thank you, just go check-in and swing by the studio after, got something I want to show you

Wow, he's so generous, but geez of all the prestigious hotels in Los Angeles, he picks that one. I still remember that night like it was yesterday.....
---------
FLASHBACK
June 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Night of the Lue Wedding

We danced the night away before being chauffeured via Uber back to the W Hotel. Tonight, was the night, my last night with Breslin. I should have just broke it off with him at the wedding like I planned, but I couldn't bare to do it after he expressed himself. He feels guilty and has no reason to. He's going to be better off without me.

"You tired babe? You kind of quiet over there." He said as we rode up the elevator and I glanced over to see the man I loved more than myself. Breslin Princeton Carter...the epitome of perfection. My perfection, well he was until I ruined his life and I feel as though I damaged him.

"A little bit, but I'm ok." The elevator doors opened and Breslin picked up off the ground, honeymoon style. "Breslin! Put me down!"

"Oh stop Kenz, get used it. This going be us on our wedding night one day. I got you." When he said that, my heart literally shattered from what was going to transpire soon, but I had to do this, to protect him. He's going understand.

He managed to carry me, slip in the keycard and I was astounded at what I saw. "How did you-"

"You know Alpha men have our connections." Breslin managed to cover the hotel suite with candles and roses all over. "Ok, and maybe your Mom helped too." Well thanks Mom, and you're going to be the first person I call to bawl my eyes out after I do this. Is this the right decision? "I told you Kenz, I'm sorry I been distant, but I told you I'm not running anymore. I love you Mackenzie." Oh but I'm running Breslin....