He sighed and she felt the bench rattle a bit as he fell heavily into the back. "Something could have happened to you two. Why did you leave without me?"

"Why are you keeping secrets?" she said. She was sure he glared at her.

"I'm not keeping secrets."

"You're keeping something away from Cameron. I don't care if you never tell me, but he deserves to know."

"No, he doesn't." His words were soft, but the bite was painful.

Mikayla turned away from him and sat playing with her fingers in silence. They weren't getting anywhere with their talk. Their anger and stubbornness were stopping their argument from moving anywhere. Mikayla knew one of them had to extend the olive branch. She hopped it were him but, Daxton seemed in no mood to admit his wrongs.

She breathed out. "We wanted to go out and do something fun. You left things," she thought through her words, "badly," she chose. She turned to face him again. "Cam has been cooped up in this house for nearly two months. He was going crazy. At least if I went with him, I could make sure he wasn't a danger to himself. Plus, we were mad at you and thought tis was a good way to say stuff you."

To her surprise, Daxton chuckled. "Well, mission accomplish."

She rolled her eyes. "He wanted to go to a club. Ice skating and dinner from a food truck is a far better choice. Instead of yelling at him, you should be praising him."

"The picture."

Mikayla groaned in frustration. "Stop letting your jealousy make you an ass."

"Hey!" he yelled.

"Really?" she asked with a raise of her eyebrows.

He was quiet for a few seconds before exhaling loudly. "Whatever."

She swayed until her shoulder bumped against his. "Don't do that. What you did was wrong. Grow up and apologize."

"I'm sorry I yelled at you."

She smiled. "I appreciate it but, Cameron deserves the apology, not me." She could feel his hesitation and it annoyed her. "What is so wrong about saying sorry to your brother?"

"It'll give him the opinion that he is allowed to do it again."

"What? Live his own life."

"That's not fair," he said instantly. "Don't turn it around like that. You know I only do this to protect him. It's worse enough my brother hates me for it. I can handle it but," his voice cracked. "I can't handle you doing it. I know my methods aren't the greatest, but it comes from a good place." His voice hitched.

"Hey, it's alright. I didn't mean it." Mikayla instantly reached for him and wrapped her arms around his body.

"I don't want to see him hurt. I can't lose him. I need to protect him." Mikayla continued to coo at him and rub his arm. She placed clumsy and awkward kisses on his body, and she continued to calm him down. Eventually, Daxton's body relaxed in her arms.

When she felt he was calm enough, Mikayla spoke softly. "Is there a reason you're so afraid for his safety?"

Daxton instantly tensed in her arms. "He could hurt himself." His words were too forced and the way his tone lifted at the end sounded like he was asking a question.

"Dax," she said softly.

"No," he interrupted.

"What's really going on? What's got you so scared?"

His body jumped from her grip suddenly as he moved towards the door. "I'm not talking about this."

"Why?" she asked as she jumped to her feet. "What are you hiding? Why won't you speak to us?"

"It's none of your business!" he snapped. Mikayla froze in her place. "You're not my wife. You're not even my girlfriend. Stop pushing so hard to know my business."

He wasn't yelling. He didn't to. His words hurt enough.

Her shoulders dropped straightaway as a gasp left her lips. "Mickey," he called quietly.

"No!" she yelled. "Don't try lie and say you didn't mean it." He didn't object. Somehow, it hurt Mikayla worse. The tears began to fall down her cheeks quickly. Her throat started closing as a heavy sob lodged it way there. She could feel a breakdown coming but, there was no way she would have it in front of him. She moved away from him and towards the door. He tried to reach for her, but she yanked her arm away quickly. She moved faster out of the greenhouse. She needed to get to her room.

She ran with her hand along the wall, feeling all the dots. It felt like years ago when Daxton surprised her with such thoughtfulness. Now, she hated it all. She hated most that she still wanted to use them.

She rushed up the stairs until she found her bedroom. She heard rushed trotting behind her and knew Nelly had found her. Nelly felt her anxiety and rushed to whine at her feet. Tears flew freely down her cheeks as she fumbled with the doorknob. Eventually it opened and she flew her body past the threshold.

The only got as far as closing the door before all her effort drained from her body. She fell against the closed door and wailed while she gripped Nelly's fur. Nelly did exactly what Mikayla needed. She stayed still and gave her all the love she wished the boy downstairs could.

 She stayed still and gave her all the love she wished the boy downstairs could