CHAPTER 12

Song: "I knew you were trouble." - by Taylor Swift.

A/N: I know I haven't been updating this book very often. I apologise. I've been busy working on my current new adult novel that I want to enter into the Watty's since none of my other works qualify. Once I've completed it by July, I'll devote more time to this one. In the meantime while you wait, please check out my new story Flirting with disaster which is updated every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. We're up to Chapter 11 already.

****************

Cameron was early and surprisingly without an entourage. He'd simply pulled up in a taxi and walked through the house doors like it were normal. Daxton had almost lost his heart. He hadn't been sure how he'd react when seeing Cameron but, the second his eyes found his healthy brother, he no longer cared about anything more. Daxton had wrapped his arms tight around Cameron and had been thrilled when his brother had done the same.

"It's so good to see you," Daxton said into his brothers' shoulder.

"It's good to see you too," replied Cameron. They pulled apart and Cameron looked around their home while Daxton looked at him. He'd lost weight, most of it muscle. His shoulders were still broad and his abdomen still flat, probably lacking some definition though. Cameron's platinum blonde hair was dark at the roots and the ends were looking a little yellow. The hairdresser and gym were most likely top on Cameron's to-do list. Despite a clear lack of sun and physical activity, Cameron looked the healthiest Daxton had seen in years. His eyes looked more alert and no longer smudged by the haze of alcohol. His skin had lost some of its yellow tinge since his liver had got a break.

He hoped his brother could keep it up.

"How are you feeling?" Daxton asked after following Cameron to the kitchen. His brother began fixing himself a sandwich but, since he lacked any cooking skills, he simply put peanut butter on one slice.

Cameron took a large bite of his bread and while chewing, mumbled, "I'm alright. Feels weird to be back. The place looks different." Daxton looked around but couldn't see anything strange. Cameron pointed to the countertop where new appliances sat and asked, "why do we have new things?"

Daxton blushed and ducked his head. "Oh, those are for Mikayla. They're to help her feel more at home." Cameron simply shrugged and walked towards the living room. Daxton followed. "How was the experience?" he asked once they'd both found a seat.

Cameron's relatively relaxed body stiffened, and a tortured expression covered his face. He looked to the ground and whispered, "it was brutal, one of the hardest things I'd ever had to do. The withdrawal was hard. I felt like I was going insane. All I could think about was drinking. I felt I couldn't breathe if I didn't have even a sip. They were feeding me this nasty health stuff that was supposed to suppress the craving, but I couldn't stomach it. They had me see a doctor where I had tests done to ensure my body was handling everything fine."

He sighed and hung his head. Daxton couldn't move. "You know what the worst part was?" Cameron asked and Daxton simply shook his head. "The worst part was those damned therapy sessions. They had me talk about everything."

"Everything?" Daxton whispered.

"Everything," gasped Cameron, his eyes sinking with grief. "I had to relive it all. It was a nightmare Dax. They said that I had to address my past so I can understand where my addiction is coming from. They didn't get it. I was drinking to avoid it. I don't ever want to remember. What they did. What we went through. What they made me go through these past months, I don't ever want it again." Cameron choked on his last words and Daxton lost his restraint as his heart broke. He jumped from his seat and immediately wrapped his baby brother in his arms and rocked him. Cameron's sobs grew louder as he continued to repeat, "I don't want to," over and over again.