"We're here," Nathan announces, stating the obvious.

"Yeah," is all I get out after exhaling a breath.

I'm feeling fluttery right now, my mind isn't in one place like it is when I'm calm and collected. I'm not sure how I'm going to talk to Erika's grandmother. Maybe once Nathan and I are up there, talking to her, I'd know what to say.

He looks to me. "Are you ready?"

I nod. "Let's go."

We get out of his car simultaneously and walk up the driveway to her front door. Soon we stand in front of it. I look at the doorbell, then at the door knocker. My eyes shift between the two, debating if I should ring the bell or knock on the door.

"Is everything okay, Alexis?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answer, lying somewhat.

I make my decision, grabbing the door knocker, and knock rhythmically. The door opens instantly, revealing an older woman with tan skin. Her hair is black, pulled into a tight ponytail. Her eyes are a dark brown color. She looks Hispanic.

"Mrs. Stryder?" Nathan speaks.

"Yes?" she replies, looking at both of us. She doesn't have the accent, though.

"Good afternoon, ma'am. My name is Officer Yamamoto and this is Ms. Morgan. I don't mean to bother you at this time, but I have a—"

"What do you want?"

"Well, we'd like to talk to you about your granddaughter, Erika Stryder. I just have a few questions, that's all."

The expression on Mrs. Stryder's face changes to a look of exasperation. She crosses her arms.

"Listen, my husband and I told you guys everything we could about Erika, okay? Yes, she's lived with us since she was a child. And yes, I gained permanent custody of her. There's nothing else to disclose. Can't you see we're mourning over our granddaughter's death?"

"I understand that, and truly I'm sorry about your loss—"

"That's what they all said, too. 'We're sorry about Erika's death, sorry about your loss.' Well, it's not going to bring her back."

Her harsh words render Nathan speechless. As much as I hate to admit, I actually do feel kind of bad for him. He didn't mean to come off as invasive.

"Actually, Mrs. Stryder, it's me who wants to know more about your granddaughter," I chime in. "It's not really for police work."

"What business is this of yours, young lady?" she demands, no longer looking at Nathan but at me.

"That's just it. Look, I don't quite know how to begin. It's difficult to explain but Erika and I have a connection."

"Connection?"

"Of sorts. There's been things that have happened to me recently and I believe it's her doing."

She studies my face for a minute, seeing whether or not I'm telling the truth. Her eyes widen a little when we make eye contact.

"Dios mío. Your eyes...they're Erika's eyes. Are-are you...?"

"I'm the girl who got the transplants from her. The corneas, I mean," I explain. "I was blind and she was my donor."

"Oh, I see...I've heard about someone getting transplants from Erika, I just didn't know you were the person who received them. Please come in."

Mrs. Stryder motions for us to enter. Nathan nods his head as he walks straight ahead in front me and I thank her. She brushes past him and takes us to her living room, which is fairly large and decorated in creams and peaches.