Chapter 23 - The Truth Always Sucks

Start from the beginning

Cue the silence which lasted for at least six minutes, lemme just tell you, it was awkward.

"Is all that-" I was about to ask him wether that kissing shit was true or not but I got my answer before I could even complete my question.

"Yes." He replied quickly as he buried his nicely built face in his hands.

"I want all the details, and the truth." I demanded, my voice slightly cracking in between. He nodded and then sighed.

"Okay, first tell me this one thing. How come you remember all the stuff from when you were drunk and not me?" I asked.

"That's simple. You were much more wasted than me, you know, it's your first time and all. Me, I'm completely tolerant to alcohol now. Doesn't effect me as much as it used to." He shrugged. I nodded, satisfied.

"Okay, now the explanations." I prepared myself for the horrid truth.

But before he could even start, my damn phone began ringing. I checked the caller to see 'Cass' written in big, bold letters with a pic of her grinning in the background.

"Who is it?" Asher asked, urgency clear in his voice.

"Cass." My trembling voice clearly indicated that I was freaking out. Asher took a deep breath. My heart was beating at a speed I never knew it could.

"Answer it," he said, looking right into my eyes.

"I-I can't. I betrayed her...I can't just..." I buried my face in my hands. It felt as if my heart was breaking into millions, no wait, billions of tiny pieces.

The phone continued ringing.

You know, if I had Thor's hammer, I would pick it up cause I'm pretty sure I'm worthy and smash this fucking phone into uncountable parts.

"Jess, you have to. Don't panic, it'll be alright," he said, trying assure himself with me.

"But...can I? I betrayed her, when I promised myself to never do exactly that." I was on the verge of crying b now.

"I trust you, Jess. But right now, if you don't pick that call up, Cass will look for you and track you down. Then, she'll find you here, with me. And after that, Cass is gone." He warned me.

I nodded slowly, and after a few deep breaths, I answered the phone. Not because he told me to, but because he made a valid point. If I wanted to continue this friendship with Cass, I had to keep her away piece of information, at least, for now.

"Hello? Jess?" I heard Cass say.

"H-hey Cass." I couldn't stop myself from stammering. I wasn't scared from the fact that she'll be upset with me, she has all the rights to be upset. I was worried about losing our friendship, becoming strangers.

"Jess? Gods, have you been crying?" She sounded worried.

Why did she have to be so caring?

"No-yeah. I, uh, just shed a few tears of joy."

"Joy? For what?"

"I'm with Elliot now. We're dating." Okay, that's the only sensible reason I could come up with at the moment.

Asher stared at me, wide-eyed. And I'm pretty sure that this was Cass's expression right now too.