Chapter 14: To Trust a Human

Start from the beginning

"Won't we be noticed," stuttered Reha nervously, her tail twitching anxiously behind her, "What if they find us again?"

"There will be a few officials that will come and see if we are a threat or not," stated Diana, "But you four shouldn't worry about that. We'll take care of them."

The wind dragon snorted softly, "And why should we trust you?"

Silver glanced at the drake with a small frown, "Would you rather talk to them?"

West tilted his head at her and hesitated.

"Exactly. Let them deal with it," she yawned, "It'll be for the good I think. Even if we did talk to them I don't think they would listen to a bunch of dragons. They would either run or shoot before we said the second word."

He sighed, "Fine, fine. But I'm not that tired."

"Sure you aren't," the metal dragon grinned slightly, before yawning again, and curling up around herself, finding it a little strange with a longer tail and larger wings.

* * *

By the time night fell all four dragons were fast asleep, even West. They were all rather tired, as it had been a long time since any of them had flown for so long in a single stretch. Occasionally the two males had been sent on missions, but most of their time had been spent in the A.O.D.H base, being used for miscellaneous purposes such as study or breeding.

For Reha it had been her first time in the sky in a little less then a year, as she was used primarily for eggs. It was rare for her to be allowed any physical exercise, and her exhaustion was nearly at the level of Silver's. As she slept she hadn't even bothered to curl herself up.

The five humans had started a small fire on the beach after talking with the authorities. Much to their relief they had been allowed to stay a couple of nights on the island. The people of the Maldives weren't particularly fond of A.O.D.H and what they stood for, as they were often ridiculed and taken advantage of by the dragon hunting company. Once they had seen the free dragons, they had been convinced that the humans were telling the truth about their mission to set them free.

As the night wore on, Diana found herself looking out over the ocean. The wind had picked up again, holding the hint of another douse of rain. Waves danced in the moonlight, their glow almost hypnotising. A number of fish could be seen leaping out of the water for an unknown reason, but it made the human woman smile.

As she turned to walk back toward her companions something caught her eye, and she frowned, turning back to the dark water. She narrowed her eyes, taking out a set of binoculars from a pocket in her wetsuit. It was a boat, or a ship more accurately, that looked as if it was ready for war. Massive guns were situated across the deck, as well as some strange looking contraptions that looked as though they were for firing nets. Along the bow of the ship was a strange signature. It looked like a dragon with a collar wound around its neck. Her eyes widened and she quickly turned, running toward the small group around the fire.

They looked up to greet her with a smile, and when they saw the panicked look on her face they hesitated.

"What's wrong?" a man named Martin asked.

"D.E.D," Diana replied, looking toward the ocean again, "One of their ships is patrolling the islands and I am quite sure its not alone."

There was a small silence as they thought for a moment through what she had said, "What do we do?"

"Wake the dragons," she replied, "We need to get them hidden, then we come up with a plan."

They nodded in agreement. Diana quickly walked over to the sleeping silver dragoness. She lightly placed her hand against her jaw. A rumbling growl vibrated through the dragon, not wanting to wake up, but the touch against her sensitive scales caused her eyes to snap open. When she saw a human standing over her, her first thought was to coat it in metal, but once she recognised Diana she settled down.