Chapter One

"Daddy, what if Scorpius is horrible?" Lily nestled herself into her father's duffle coat.

"I'm sure he'll be lovely, and anyway, you won't be in the same house." Harry enveloped his daughter in a warm bear hug and she smiled.

"Thank You Daddy. I'll miss you..."

"I'll miss you too, Lily" replied Harry. "Be good and go and say goodbye to Mummy."

James and Albus stood together on the platform with Ginny, their Mother while Lily said their last goodbyes. Albus and James looked nervously around for the weasleys and secretly felt very afraid of the journey they were about to embark on. Questions swirled around their heads and the first day of big school at Hogwarts felt like a very daunting prospect indeed. At last the Weasley family appeared from the station wall and the Potters rushed over to greet their friends. Immediately Albus and James ushered Hugo over by the edge of the platform and gushed news and hopes about starting term. Rose and Lily looked anxiously up at their parents and gained an approving nod and a complementary kiss on the cheek. The two girls skipped off to where the boys were playing magical snap.

With them was Luna and her partner Rolf whose children Lysander and Lorcan were also starting Hogwarts this year. They were identical twins and they spoke shyly with their parents.

"You don't need to be scared, Lorcan." Luna consoled the smaller boy, Lorcan. "And as for you Lysander, stop sucking your thumb! It'll fall off before you even get on the train at this rate!" The twins giggled and hugged their Mother. "And remember, " started Rolf their Father, you're big boys now. You're twelve years old and you're off to Hogwarts, just like we were at your age." The twins nodded in unison and Luna and Rolf shared a smile before ushering the children onto the now ready train.

At the other side of the platform Scorpius Malfoy and his Father Draco were saying their goodbyes. "I hope to hear reports back of typical Malfoy behaviour. I do not expect total destruction or dark magic, but I do expect you to make the Potter family's life an absolute misery. Do you understand?" Scorpius nodded his approval and nestled himself in his father's cloak. He gripped his little stone with his parents names on it to his chest and sighed.

"I wish your mother could see you. She'd be so proud of you." Draco sniffled slightly and Scorpius hugged his father closer, swallowing his own tears back. He suddenly stood up straight, his luggage in hand, and his new white cat in the other. "I think I need to get on the train now." Scorpius waved goodbye to his father and found a seat in compartment B.

Further down the train, the Potters and Weasleys were settling into their seats. "What do you think of the train?" asked Albus, careful to speak loud enough over the monotonous drone of the train engine.

"It's nice enough, only I'm so hungry, and I forgot the food spell Mother taught me." Lily sniffled and buried her face in her brothers new robes.

"It's okay Lily" Comforted Rose. " I'm starving too. How about we eat these." Rose reached into Hugo's bag and retrieved two huge tuna and cheese sandwiches, and a packet of Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans.

"Wow!" Lily gasped and put her arms around her friend. "Thank You Rose!"

"That's okay" Rose replied as she bit into one of the paninis. "I needed the excuse to have one myself!" Lily laughed and took a bean. "Ah. Spinach flavour.." Came the reply.

The children were so engrossed in their game of wizard's chess between Hugo and James, that they didn't notice the food trolley rattle past, and so they missed the opportunity to gorge themselves further. Hugo was winning until a sharp knock on the door of their compartment sent them rushing to their feet, and the board was knocked over and the game ruined. Albus opened the door confidently and immediately wished he hadn't. Standing in front of him was Scorpius Malfoy, who wasn't looking very intimidating it had to be said, but Albus still didn't trust that family. "What do you want, Malfoy?" Lily and Rose shuffled back into a corner, afraid of Scorpius' piercing green eyes and sharp features. If Albus hadn't been so wary of the Malfoy's, then he might have found him quite attractive, but as they stood there Scorpius' eyes softened their hard gaze, and he turned to look at the floor.

"Actually, I'd like to uh..." He stuttered and tried again. "I'd um.. like to be your er..... I'd like to be f f friends." If Albus was surprised that was nothing compared Scorpius was shocked at himself. He had gone against everything his Father had told him and most of all what he had told himself. he had failed his family, himself and everyone that he cared about. His eyes welled up with tears and they streaked down his face slowly. Albus walked out into the corridor to him, knowing that he should just ignore the awful Malfoy boy and go back into the compartment, but something drew him to the blond recluse. Albus found himself a few moments later wiping away Scorpius' tears, and he was shocked at how he had treated his family's enemy. Scorpius was sitting cross legged on the floor of the corridor, his head in his hands. "I've been five minutes on this bloody train, I've been a traitor to my family, and I've blown everything friends-wise!" he sobbed. Albus looked around him to make sure no one was watching, and put his arm around Scorpius' shoulders. Scorpius looked up shocked, into Albus' grey blue eyes. His chest heaved under Albus' gentle touch and he felt something inside him stir. He stood up slowly, still leaning against a compartment wall, and took Albus' hand. "Mates?" Albus replied "Mates."