Chapter Five

"There. Now you look pretty too!" Mavis said, pinning my hair up. I looked in the mirror, standing beside Mavis. I had the same clothes on, but Mavis had done my makeup (black eyeliner and mascara) and she had French braided my hair so that it was hanging over my right shoulder. My fake fangs completed my vampire picture. Mavis didn't know that they were fake though.

"Thanks," I said. I could hear the music from the party all the way up here and Mavis looked excited to go. "Come on, let's get going."

We ran down the hallways and stopped in front of the doors.

"Ready?" I asked her.

"Ready," she smiled. We stepped in and I gasped. Johnny had actually done a really good job.

"Lets go find Johnny!" I yelled to her over the music. Mavis nodded excitedly and we moved slowly through the crowd. Mavis eventually turned into her blue magic and weaved through everyone in that form. I stayed where I was, suddenly alone in a sea of monsters.

I saw the doors open again and heard monsters congratulating Dracula on the party. Then he was right in front of me. I moved into the crowd before he saw me. Dracula looked around excitedly and began to dance, his cape bobbing along to the music by itself, two suits of armour dancing beside him. I turned and walked around through the crowd and saw Johnny. I started making my way towards him, but then I saw Mavis leaning in slowly. I watched in anticipation as he had his first kiss. They broke apart and then Dracula was there, rising up above Johnny angrily.

"Oh no," I whispered, shoving my way towards them.

"Dad it was just a kiss!" Mavis said, turning on her dad.

"You're not allowed to kiss yet!"

"I'm allowed to do things now, I'm allowed to go out and see the world!"

"I thought you said you didn't want to anymore after what happened at the village!" Dracula yelled.

The village... I thought of the village that was being torn down, and the zombies that we followed to the hotel. Shit.

"Well maybe I want to give the village another chance!" Mavis yelled, her eyes blazing.

"No, y-you can't do that," Dracula argued, wincing.

"WHY NOT!"

"BECAUSE THE VILLAGE DOESN'T REALLY EXIST!"

The music stopped and everybody stared at the two vampires.

"What did you do?" Frank growled, stomping up to Dracula. He hunched over, defeated.

"I-I built the village," he said. "The staff put it all together and dressed up as the townsfolk. If I really let you go out there and you got hurt, I couldn't live with myself."

"But you can live with this?" Mavis seethed, glaring at her father. "Lying to me?"

The doors opened and Johnny ran over to me as Quasimodo was wheeled in, still frozen.

"Gogogogogo," Johnny hissed, dragging me through the crowd.

"Don't worry, I speak frozen," someone said.

Shit!

"He says 'behold ze humans'. He has a French accent."

The crowd to show Johnny and I trying to sneak out of the party. Esmerelda slammed the door shut, whipping her tail.

"He's lying," Frankenstein growled. "He's lying."

Suddenly, the mouse jumped on me, ripping my fake teeth out as I screamed. Then it jumped on Johnny, peeling off all of his paint and returning his hair to its wild red state. We had somehow made our way back into the middle of the room. My hair had fallen out of it's French braid and the fake fangs were laying at my feet. My cape had also been pulled off by the mouse and I was left standing there in only my dress and leggings with my shoulders and collarbones exposed.

Monsters panicked, running around everywhere.

"I don't believe it," Frank said, staring at us in disbelief.

Mavis approached Johnny and I, looking at us uncertainly. "Is it true? Are you guys really humans?"

"Yeessss," Johnny said, looking down. Mavis threw her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

"I don't care! I still want to be with you."

Dracula was glaring at Johnny, and he gulped.

"Well, tough," Johnny said, pushing her away from him. "Cause I don't want to be with you. I hate monsters!"

"Same with me," I said, looking directly at Dracula. He winced, looking away from me.

Johnny and I marched towards the door, monsters watching us the whole time. When we got to the door, Johnny did a quick show of kicks, scaring poor Murray. I opened the door, and we left.

"Come on, lets go get our bags," I sighed. We ran to the closet we had first arrived in and I changed into a pair of jeans and a black tee. I picked up my backpack and called a cab as we marched out of the door.

We walked quietly through the forest again and found the cab waiting for us at the edge of the forest. Johnny pushed his bag in and his smelly t-shirt fell out. I didn't bother telling him though, it was gross, and he wouldn't miss it. I took one last look into the forest as we drove away, and then we were on the road again.

"Where to?" The cabbie asked.

"The airport," Johnny said, leaning his head against the window. He was obviously as depressed about leaving as I was.

I booked our tickets for the next plane out while the cab driver tried to drive through the town that was filled to the brim with people dressed up as monsters. Banners where hanging up everywhere and there was a large blow up Frankenstein.

"We just can't get away," Johnny said, making a feeble joke attempt.

I sighed. We finally made it out of the town and the cabbie dropped us off at the airport. We placed our luggage on the drop off line and waited for our flight.

"Flight 497 is now loading."

Johnny and I stood up and headed over to the terminal. We showed the gate lady our passes and boarded the plane. I sat beside Johnny in the middle seat and he took the window seat. I felt numb as we took off, staring at the seat in front of me.

"Woah! Look, a bat!" Johnny said suddenly, staring out the window.

"What?!" I asked, leaning over Johnny. A large bat was attached to the window, flapping in the wind, smoke trails blowing behind it. "Dracula," I whispered, smiling.

"What, Japan's eating lamb stew?" Johnny asked while Dracula tried to talk to us. "Hey, did you know you're smoking?"

Dracula frowned, glared at Johnny and then started flying towards the front of the plane. Johnny hopped out of his seat and into the next row, watching Dracula.

The com turned on as the captain gave us a message.

"Ladies and gentlemen I'd like to give-" his voice suddenly cut off for a second, then the message resumed. "A special message to Jonathan and my dearest Rachel." Johnny smiled at me and I blushed.

"Johnny, I hope you can forgive me for everything I've done to you, and I hope that you can forgive me. You deserve to be with Mavis, you were her Zing.

"My darling Rachel, I can never fully show you how sorry I am for how I behaved. I hope you too can forgive me. I love you, my Zing."

People screamed, jumping away from my window. Dracula was there, looking at me hopefully. I placed my hand on the glass and smiled at him.

"I forgive you," I whispered. Dracula smiled.

"Ok folks, we'll be making a quick turn around to, uh, refuel, and then we'll be on our way."

All of the passengers groaned in annoyance.

"Quit your whining!" Dracula snapped. "I'm burning up out here!"