Don't Hold Your Breath

Start from the beginning

And then he locked eyes with me. A fire seemed to light in his eyes, quickly replaced with anger and frustration. I knew the words that were going to surely come; first, "Alyssa!" then, "I, Jason Grey, reject Alyssa Carter as my mate, and sever the bond that has been created between us." I wouldn't try to change them, even though my heart pounded in my chest as he looked me right in the eyes. I had heard the story thousands of time before- popular boy's mate turns out to be a loser, she's rejected, heartbroken, he moves on, etc, etc. His eyes narrowed at me, then he yelled. 

"No, it can't be. Alyssa Carter!" 

I looked at him straight in the eye. "Yes?" I replied, my mouth drawing in a thin line. 

"You are my mate," he said, a hint of anger in his voice.

"Okay. So since I'm a loser and you're Mr. Alpha and all, go ahead and reject me. I know you will," I said, keeping my voice steady even though my heart was cracking. 

He grinned mockingly. "She makes it so easy for me! Thanks, Alyssa. That's the one thing you've done for me. But I think i'll have a little fun with this." Jason walked straight up to me and kissd me right on the mouth. I've heard it described thousands of times, but it really was like those cheap novels- fireworks and all. I pulled away quickly and glared at him, trying to keep up my wall of uncaringness, despite that my heart was pretty much shattered now. Jason looked shocked and a little hungry, but then quickly replaced it with his signature player's grin. He touched my cheek and I felt volts of electricity shooting through me, and judging from the look on his face, he did too. Again, he quickly erased his look of slight pleasure and instead pushed me onto the ground. My head thumped against the ground. 

Jason laughed, and Jake snickered. 

"Wow, horrible luck, Jase!" my jackass of a brother yelled. "Better luck next time, huh?" 

"Yep. But on the bright side, count this whore's heart as number 36!" Jason replied. Classy. Putting me on his list of girls he's used. This guy defintiley deserved my heart. They completley ignored the fact that I was now getting trampled and jeered at my the entire student body. What was their problem with me? I'd never done anything to hurt them. I dammed up to tears behind my eyes, willing them to remain out of sight. I wouldn't give them the pleasure of seeing me weak, and that they had won. 

Jason shot me a look, mixed with anger, frustration, happiness, and confusion. I walked up to him despite the physical abuse I was recieving from all sides and looked him straight in the eye. 

"You'll regret this one day. Mates don't do this to each other," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. 

"I don't think I will. And as far as I'm concerned, you're no longer my mate," Jason said coldly. 

"Say it then," I challenged. 

"I, Jason Grey, reject Alyssa Carter as my mate, and sever the bond that has been created between us," he said calmly. I felt a sharp pain in my chest, and from the look of sudden shock in his face, he did too, then he seemed to ignore it. 

"I, Alyssa Carter, accept the rejection of Jason Grey and the severing of the bond," I whispered, not trusting my voice to go any louder in case you could hear the pain in it. 

"Goodbye, Alyssa," Jason smirked. 

I ignored his comment and then turned to face the rest of the pack, my face wiped of emotion. 

"I, Alyssa Carter, also reject the Blue Star pack as my own, and sever all connections with the pack and those within it. I declare myself independent of all other packs," I said calmly. There would be time to break down later, I thought. No time to cry now. 

A small gasp went through the crowd. Rarely did anyone ever reject their pack. It was virtually unheard of. Then the shock was replaced with laughter and cat calling. 

"She's leaving, finally!"

"Good riddance." 

"She was a waste of air here anyway."

And those were the nicer ones. Let's just say that by the time I'd managed to escape from the throngs of high schoolers, I had cuts, scratches, and bruises all over my body. I let out a slight whimper and then began the walk home. The tears started to fall as soon as I'd noticed that they had gone inside for classes and I was out of sight from the school. 

Why did they hate me so much? And mates weren't supposed to treat each other this way. It was unfair. What had I done to deserve this? 

These thoughts ran through my head as I made my way home. When I finally saw the familiar site of my house, I dashed up the front steps and inside. I ran up to my room and pulled out my suitcase, stuffing my scant possessions inside. I took everything, leaving no trace of myself behind. Then, I snuck into my brother's room and took his debit card. My parents were loaded, but they were always away at the pack house and never paid attention to me anyway. I stuffed the card into my pocket, along with my cell phone, then dragged my suitcase downstairs. 

I called a cab and offered an extra $30 if they got here within fifteen minutes. A bright yellow cab pulled up in thirteen minutes flat and honked. I lugged my bags out to the car and loaded them into the trunk. 

"Bank, please," I said. The cab sped off. I ran inside and withdrew five thousand dollars in cash from Jake's account, despite the curious glances from the bankers. I told the driver to take me to the nearest airport, where they dropped me off, I paid, and ran inside. 

I paid for a plane ticket that would depart in an hour. After racing through security, bag check, and boarding, I finally collapsed on the plane. 

I had finally done it. I had escaped the tyranny of my old pack. But not without leaving a piece of my heart behind. 

My mate had rejected me. I no longer had a pack. My family didn't care about me. I was on the run. 

I quietly cried myself to sleep, wondering what I had done to deserve all this. 

*************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys, it's Ari! So, what do you think? I had this idea because I was tired of reading the same cliche of this, so even though this has the same beginning, don't worry, because I've thought of a bunch of plot twists :D This is my first werewolf story, so if I get facts wrong, sorry! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I LOVE feedback, so gimme some! Please? :) Vote, Comment, Fan, Add!!! I'm personally a silent reader, but I'm gonna need just five votes for the next chapter. Just FIVE!!!! Not too hard :) 

Thanks!!! Love Love Love <3 Ari