Chapter 1: New Friends

A/N: I wrote this story because I was stressed out from studying so there's quite a bit of ranting and crying and emotional outpouring in this short story. And, really sorry if it ends so abruptly. I tend to lose steam after writing a few chapters so I ended it to ease the pain. I understand that it's a really old anime, so this short story probably wouldn't make it far. Heh. Nevertheless, hope you guys enjoy it.

Now on to the story...

The Beginning

Mei's POV

The name's Ayuzawa Mei.

I enrolled into the Hakusen academy after moving back to Japan.

I didn't expect much though, because I was only here to further my studies for a few years.

But what I did not expect was to score an astounding 90 marks for the mid term exams, allowing me to become the 6th in the level.

This was remarkable, my classmates and teachers constantly told me. But I felt as if it was nothing... Was it because I was too used to working hard as heck for my grades in my previous school? Perhaps. I wouldn't know the difference in standards between students over here.

What was even more shocking was the fact that I was entitled to enter the prestigious class of the school, the Special A. It was, well, the place where the top scorers of the academy go to, and I heard that most of them were the rich sons and daughters of extremely successful people.

I was stumped.

I lived alone in Japan, and had no value to my name. I shouldn't even be allowed into the Special A class - I would just feel out of place.

I guess that was my conclusion.

2pm.

It's the end of school for us, and I was sitting in the courtyard watching people walk out of the school. My meeting with the school chairman was at 4pm. I had nothing to do.

Well, I could always go to the library... and you know... do some studying... But I was already content with my workload. No stress, nothing. Just boredom and the urge for something new to happen.

"Hi!" A voice called out to me, and I snapped out of my thoughts. I glanced up to see a girl with extremely long black hair, wearing the signature white blazer... of the Special A.

Which one of them could it be? There was only 3 girls so far, or so I heard.

"Hello? Are you alright?" The girl spoke to me in fluent Japanese, and thankfully I was well versed in this subject.

Ah right, the country I have lived in for most of my years as a teenager, spoke English. So Japanese was a little tough for me to master.

"Yes..." I muttered in reply.

"Oh great!" She exclaimed, before setting her eyes on my name tag. "Oh... you're that honour student! Nice to meet you!"

"I'm Hanazono Hikari!" She smiled happily, and I was stunned by her enthusiasm. Hikari was the 2nd in level for the academy, and one of the friendliest.

"Hey I'm Ayuzawa Mei," I introduced myself, but sounded a little too downcast. "What's up?"

"Oh... nothing..." She tried to look calm, but in reality she wasn't. Oh boy, she's really dense for a smart girl.

"Hmm?"

I raised a suspicious eyebrow at her and she winced, finally giving in.

"Ah... yeah, I heard that you are going to enroll in the SA?"