Chapter 13

Chase told her the whole story. He had intended on skipping the more grizzly details, but Avery insisted on knowing everything, frequently interrupting with specific questions in order to get the complete picture. He tried to eat his food between points, taking bites here and there as she stared off and processed each part of the tale.

She took it extremely well—surprisingly so. Landcaster's confession and his reassurances that he wouldn't try any sort of attack again had an enormous impact on Avery—much more than it would have had on Chase. Granted, he was generally more skeptical than most, and Avery's innocent nature made it easier for her to forgive people. Still, he thought it somewhat odd that she accepted all of it so easily.

"I'm sorry if this ruins your party," he said, covering his mouth as he chewed. "This is supposed to be a celebration. You shouldn't have to hear things like this today. But I just hate the idea of you not knowing what's happening."

She smiled at him as if not bothered at all. There it was again—for some reason she was not as shaken up as she should be.

"This doesn't ruin anything," she assured him. "You are looking out for me, Chase. You followed through, exactly as you said you would. And now we're one step closer to finding out who is behind the attacks."

Chase set down his fork, bewildered at her calm acceptance, "But there is dancing and presents and cake and champagne. Doesn't this ruin your fun?"

"No," she said, smiling as if the question was preposterous.

"How can you smile like that when you know there is someone among your own people trying to kill you?"

"I don't know," she admitted, crossing her legs and looking away in thought before coming back to him. "Perhaps it is because you are here. Your presence makes me feel safe."

"Avery," he said, glancing around the room. "I can't stay. I told Nathan I would have something to eat and then I'm leaving."

"What? Why?" she asked with a raised voice.

"I came here to make sure that you and Nathan knew. He can take the necessary precautions and investigate who is behind this. This is an issue between you and your people. It doesn't involve me, and it shouldn't involve me. I don't belong here. Even in my brief time here tonight, I'm getting strange looks and all sorts of negative attention."

"No," she disagreed, her green eyes widening. "You left because you thought the shooter was coming after you. You wanted to keep me safe by distancing—"

"Avery, you know why I left," he interrupted.

Her face softened, though her eyes never left his. She looked at him intently, her thoughts impossible to decipher. When she finally spoke, her voice was soft, but strong.

"I never wanted you to leave, Chase."

Her eyes lingered on him, leaving him at a loss for words. He shifted in his chair, feeling incredibly out of place.

Behind Avery, couples began slow dancing to romantic music, and the lights went a shade dimmer. Random people passed by their table, waving to Avery in recognition and nodding politely to Chase.

Avery uncrossed her legs and leaned toward him, touching his arm to get his attention back. "Let me tell you a story—from my childhood," she said. "Perhaps it will help you to understand."

Chase wasn't sure what she wanted him to understand, exactly, but he nodded curiously.

"At the very least, you can finish your food while I talk," she said.