Chapter 9 : In Her Eyes

Start from the beginning

"Damn, Shiratorizawa has everything... strong players and cute girls. Should've gotten her number when she asked me for directions"

"But didn't it seem to you that she was kinda out of it?"

"So? I like airheads."

He took a brief glance at the two players and easily deduced who it was they were talking about. "I knew it" he muttered as he looked towards the direction where they came from. In his mind he imagines you walking aimlessly around the stadium not knowing where to go despite asking people for directions. "It's not my responsibility" he flatly reaffirms his own thoughts and tried to hurry back again to his team but was unable to take a step forward. He clicked his tongue in annoyance and after much contemplation, he walked towards where the two players came from. He would often look from left to right, look through each corner that you'd probably fit through until he finally found you standing near a few benches. He let out a sigh and walked towards you, not paying to mind the times you would bang your head against the wall.

His aura became menacing as he went nearer and nearer, a scowl donned his face as his eyes bore an icy glare. With every step he took, he'd recall those times you'd caught him off guard and appear at the worst possible times. He had come to despise you and among all the things you did, he hated the fact that despite his growing irritation towards you he was always unable to voice out anything or act upon his anger. Why is that? Because for reasons unknown, he'd find himself blanking out while letting his mixed up emotions build up even more thereby confusing him to a degree he couldn't handle which led him to act out of his own character; as if he was at your mercy and he did not like it one bit.

His steps got faster as he got closer, his blood began to boil as his eyes gleamed in anger. "Tell her: 'You're a bother,'" he thought repeatedly in his mind as he locked unto your back, your head firmly implanted on the wall. He opened his mouth to speak when he was at a fair distance away from you when all of a sudden you called out his name.

And again, it happened... his mind blanked out, his emotions and heart began to go haywire as the cloud of anger that loomed over him slowly dissipated. "She was thinking of me?" was all that came to his mind as he stood there for a few seconds. He finally managed to open his mouth and asked monotonously "What is it?" catching your attention.

"Help me" you pleaded with a weak voice as you faced him, eyes all big and pleading. The tall ace flinched upon seeing how adorable you looked, like a puppy who has lost its way, then finally seeing its master. His face grew hot and his heart began to beat uncontrollably as he felt electricity flow through every fiber of his being. He averted his gaze from you and began to walk back to where the team is, "Follow me" he said in a forced tone as he tried his best to hide the growing blush that began to spread up to his ears tinting it with a shade of pink. "Damn it" he cursed in silence.

"This is fine, nothing happened, just helping a puppy," Ushijima thought to himself as you both walked in silence. Thankfully, he had finally calmed down after a few deep breaths and despite previous events (him scaring you to death) you were at least brave enough to follow after him (as if you had any other choice though). His gaze remained forward as he kept an open ear to you; listening to the faint footsteps you'd take thanks to your tiny legs and occasionally he'd adjust his pace to meet yours when it'd grew distant.

"U-Ushijima-senpai... ummm... Why are you separated from the others?" he glanced towards you, noticing that you were now walking beside him and he inwardly applauded your bravery despite how transparent your fear of him was. "That's my question" he noticed how the small spark in your eyes seemed to fade making him feel a tad bit guilty. He let out a sigh as he returned his gaze forward "I went to the bathroom, the match before us need to play up until the third set so we still had some time" he said and after that you both remained silent the whole way.