Trashwang

Over the next month, things remained normal for the most part. While it still threw people off that Kenzie and Lincoln were not only divorced yet, but they still lived together and seemed perfectly okay with it. On top of that neither of them had started dating (Kenzie didn’t want to and Lincoln was still set on getting Kenzie back).

Today was one of the few days that Kenzie had off. Instead of spending it doing nothing, she decided to be productive. She began getting the Christmas decoration out and cleaned out the other guest room since her older brother was supposed to spend a few weeks with them. Aside from spring, Christmas was her favorite time of the year. Things seemed to feel right and even go right around this time. Last year even went right, spite the fact that her and Lincoln were always mad at each other.

Around eight o’clock Kenzie walked back into the house with her brother after picking him up from the airport.

“You know you still didn’t have to let me stay here.” Jesse said as he walked into the house with his bags.

“Shut up, you knew I was going to let you stay here.” She teased shutting the door. “You know the way.” She motioned to the guest room that was downstairs. “I’m going to start dinner.”

“Alright.” He said as he went into the back.

While she cooked and he got himself settled in, Lincoln walked in from work. The only reason he was late was because of a meeting, which he hadn’t been too thrilled with to begin with. He followed the sounds into the kitchen after putting his stuff down. Tonight he was planning to officially start working his way back in. He had given it almost two months and figured that had been enough time.

“Hey.” He greeted causally before going into the refrigerator to get himself something to drink.

“Hey.”

“I see you started pulling everything out.” He said referring to some of the decoration boxes that had still been out and the little Christmas decoration that had been up already.

She nodded while she continued to cook. “Yeah. I don’t think I’m going to do lights outside though.”

“Why not?” He chuckled slightly. Even though he did volunteer to be the one to put them up every year, she always got it done before he agreed to do it.

“I don’t feel like it.”

“I’ll do it for you…unless you beat me to it again.” He added.

She laughed slightly. “If you want to.”

“Hey so what’s- Linc? What are you doing here?” Jesse’s sentence stopped as he saw him in the kitchen.

As far as Kenzie’s family knew, her and Lincoln were divorcing and that was it. They didn’t know that they were still living together and had the intention of being friends. And once she thought about it, she realized that she forgot to tell her brother that detail and Lincoln realized that too. He gave her a ‘you didn’t tell him look’ before she rubbed her forehead and tried to think about what she was supposed to say.

“We still live together.”

“Oh. Well what’s for dinner?” He asked not really phased by their answer. Sure it was weird but that was their business, not his. At least that’s what he thought.

“That’s it?” She asked. “No colorful outbursts or interjections?” Kenzie knew how her brother could be with certain things. It was in his nature to be a character; their whole family was full of them, her included.

Jesse gave a shrug. “That’s you guys. Whatever is working for you.”

She gave a slight nod still ready for him to say something but since she assumed it wasn’t coming, she let it go. It wasn’t that her brother wasn’t accepting, she was just expecting to hear what she heard from Crystal, Bethany, Fred, Bret and anybody else who knew about the whole situation. Or maybe she was waiting on that last person to tell her, so she could actually push things along herself. She had no idea.