Oops?

Chapter 3:

This cannot be real. Thor?! My favourite superhero? I pinch myself to make sure that I’m not dreaming. As I try to wrap my brain around the idea of this being true, I flip the page and begin reading the script. It’s beautifully written and I find myself overwhelmed with emotions once finished.

My phone rings and it’s my best friend, Kylee. I answer, “hello?”

“Where the hell have you been, missy?” Her chirpy voice screams through the speaker. I’ve known Kylee since high school and we’ve maintained our friendship over the last four years since graduating and going to different colleges. We see each other once a month when she comes to visit me and her family. When she comes into town we always spend the day shopping and catching up on our lives over warm tea and a good movie. The times that I spend with Kylee are my favourites. She allows me to escape from my reality and jump into hers. She’s an interior design major and attends a university in France, but she never makes me feel inferior or jealous. She’s the only person I can trust.

“I was at a meeting, I’m sorry. Why, what’s up?” I get up and walk into the kitchen and stop dead in my tracks the moment I enter the room. Kylee is standing in my doorway.

I scream and run to her. We embrace and scream-speak our usual “Oh, my god, you look amazing! I’ve missed you so much! How has school been? Do you want tea? When did you get in town?” No one else understands a word we say but we know. It’s a language that is uniquely ours.

We migrate to my living room and catch up on each other as usual. We popped some popcorn and opened a bottle of wine that she brought home with her from France. We changed into our pajamas and popped in I’ll Be Home For Christmas. Not too long after the movie started, my phone rings.

“Who is disturbing our precious time together?!” Kylee joked. I laughed and answered, “Hello?”

“Alice! Change of plans, I need you to begin working for me tomorrow morning, bright and early. Is 7:30 okay?” It was Josh. I hadn’t told Kylee about my internship yet. I guess this is my perfect opportunity.

“Yeah, I can do that. Where are you meeting?” Kylee gives me an incredulous look. I give her a slight smile.

“Meet me at the office. The address is in the envelop I gave you earlier today. I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“Okay, see you then!” I chirp and hang up the phone. Kylee jokingly crosses her arms as if she’s an upset child. “Who was that?” she asks.

“That was Josh Tenant.” I say. I slowly look away from her stare. “You know, the movie writer.”

Kylee gasps and nearly jumps out of the recliner. “Are you serious? Why is he calling you?”

I can’t help but feel as if that was a back-handed question. I push the thought away and reply, “I applied for an internship for him a little while ago. He called me last night telling me that I got the job and just called to tell me that we start tomorrow morning instead of next week.” I take a rather large drink of my wine, finishing it in one gulp.

“And you didn’t tell me?! That is amazing, Alice! I’m so happy for you!” She jumps up and hugs me, her long brunette waves bouncing around along with her. She squeezes me tight and I sigh with relief. Why did I think that Kylee would be jealous of me? She’s off in France and I never get jealous of her for that. Neither of us has ever been jealous of each other. That’s another reason why our friendship works so well.

“Thanks, Ky.” We end our hug and continue watching our movie.

We ended up falling asleep and I woke up to my alarm at 6:00 AM to get ready for my first day on set. Kylee grumbled and rolled over once I turned off my alarm. I snickered and hopped in the shower.