Chapter Fourteen ~Answers~

"To The Forty-Six,  this: my last plea to the goodness of mankind,

I cannot say truly that I am a deserving man, or a good man, but I could weep from relief if you should look upon me with compassion.  You are the only ones who can help me. My last glimpse at hope.The Forty-Six.

You are different from all others in any universe you set foot in. I suppose you already know that, but it is a marvelous thing to be different. It is a responsibility, and it is an undertaking, but it is marvelous. Your difference is why you alone can help me.  Do not be frightened of me.  I will explain all that I can when you arrive at the address on the envelope.  This letter may appear mysterious, but it is not a threat- no, indeed!  It is a desperate man's last attempt to rescue the one he loves most.  

Your greatest power is freedom. You now have the freedom to choose whether to aid or abandon me. I beg you to make the better choice, but I will not take away your freedom.  Please come.  I have answers,"  Kellan finished reading the letter and let his arm swing down to his side.

Nobody spoke for a moment, eyes shifting uncertainly from one person to the next. Aelia fidgeted with her fingers.

"So what's everyone thinking about the letter?" Sierra said finally, laughing with the kind of nervous laughter that Aelia might give after asking, "So no one actually got a good grade on that test, right?" while Kellan would try to cover up the fact that he aced it with nods and stutterings of, "oh, no, definitely not" and his cheeks would turn the red shade of betrayal. 

There was another tense pause. Sierra and Hazen started to speak at the same time, then both cut themselves off and began the game of "You go," and "No, you go." Sullen-faced and resigned, Hazen lost.

"Well..." he began. "no one, uh, actually..."

Aelia craned her head.  "What is it?"

He cracked his knuckles- from his stance and gaze, Aelia gathered it was probably a defensive habit. "Okay, no one wants to be the bad guy here, so I'll say it." He cleared his throat. "No one actually believes this guy, right?"

The tension dissolved as shoulders relaxed a little bit, and breaths were released. A number of voices, Aelia's included, agreed "No, of course not."

"We can't trust him- that's obvious."

"This guy knows all about us.  And he won't tell us how."

A squawk of "It's impossible!"

Aelia translated, and bit her tongue, hard. She looked around at all the faces around her, not quite believing what she was about to say. "Unless... unless he was informed by one of us." And the only person who knew people from this world and had a means of transportation was Hazen.

Everyone knew it too. Sierra gave a small gasp and wouldn't look at him.  Kellan and Bongo both turned to Hazen not fully trusting him anymore.

Hazen's look of surprise quickly turned into a defensive posture.  "I did nothing to harm any of you-I would never do anything like that! I have no idea who this guy is." He looked up at the dark ceiling as if releasing a prayer.  "I didn't do what you're accusing me of. Because you are accusing me, whether you think that's what you're doing or not."

Bongo waddled toward Hazen, eyes narrowed. He stopped only when the tips of his feet touched the tips of Hazen's dirt-caked sneakers. As Aelia watched curiously, Bongo stayed completely still, studying Hazen's confused and uncomfortable face staring down at him. Then, giving a series of clicking sounds with his beak, Bongo turned and waddled back.